Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I just kinda dove into this subject. I'm looking at doing a swap myself. I'll tell you what I've found and hopefully other members can jump in and correct stuff if it's wrong.

Termis and machs have an iron block. Termi has forged internals.

99/01 Cobras had either teksid blocks (mainly 99's, some 01's) or a WAP (I don't think any 99s came with this)

96-98 cobras and 92-98 (i think that's the right years) lincoln mark viii's also used a teksid block.

I couldn't tell you what trucks and suv's were dohc...

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Dont think you can bore to 5.0? You can stroke it though

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
In the description it says stock bore. Keep in mind the block is not what makes it a 4V. You can pick up an aluminum block out of a Cobra or Mach for a few hundred, buy a stroker kit, and still have cash to play with for what you would pay for that block.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
well the GT brocks are iron...they will support over 800rwhp. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
gt's are all iron. machs have aluminums, 96-01 cobras had aluminums as well. the 96-99's had teksid blocks, very very few 01 cobra's had teksids, most 01 cobra's and all the machs had the WAP's.

·
Registered
156 Posts
some say the GT block will support 800hp and some say 1000hp, but i wouldnt want to test it out. its safe to say the bottom end will support nearly triple the top. the block in the link im not sure about, since it says its a 5.0 and we have a 4.6. cant bore to a 5.0 but you can stroke it like mustang gt 99 said. if you want a cobra block your best bet is to check corral.net or similar site, you can find one for a decent price. for the KB 2.6 its about 3800 for a new kit but thats just an upgrade for the stock cobra parts. it looks like you would still need an intercooler and such if you went with that kit but i dont know for sure cuz the 2.6 says its an upgrade for the cobra so my guess is the stock cobra stuff is used for the install. just a guess on most of that so dont hold it to me :D

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
If you click on the "more info" link on that page it says:

M-6010-T50 - Ford Racing Engine Blocks Details

Features
Big bore 4.6L aluminum block with cast in iron liners
94mm (3.70") cylinder bore size. Stock cylinder bore size 90.2mm (3.552")
227mm (8.9370") deck height (same as 4.6L)
Produces 5.0L displacement when used with a 4.6L stock stroke crankshaft, stock length connecting rods and custom 94mm diameter pistons.
Cross bolted main bearing caps
Same block that is used in the 5.0L "Cammer" crate engine

So I'm not sure what block it uses.

Anyway, do you just get the block for $3000? If so, why would you not just buy a MMR 900 or something that has the forged rotating assembly already installed for the same price? It'll be a little heavier because MMR uses the iron termi block, but if you basically get a free forged rotating assembly it'd def be worth it

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The stock iron block will handle north of 1000 hp with the right car but really, are you shooting for that goal. Most just want more than the 450 hp limit due to **** rods

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
oh yeah lol internals next winter! anyways. your car man kb is pricey.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I just kinda dove into this subject. I'm looking at doing a swap myself. I'll tell you what I've found and hopefully other members can jump in and correct stuff if it's wrong.

Termis and machs have an iron block. Termi has forged internals.

99/01 Cobras had either teksid blocks (mainly 99's, some 01's) or a WAP (I don't think any 99s came with this)

96-98 cobras and 92-98 (i think that's the right years) lincoln mark viii's also used a teksid block.

I couldn't tell you what trucks and suv's were dohc...
the machs have an aluminum block

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
very very few 01 cobra's had teksids, most 01 cobra's and all the machs had the WAP's.
I would not say very very fewhad tekskids. I would be willing to bet the numbers are much higher then most think. I have a tekskid block in mine. A lot of folks on SVTP have tekskid blocks as well.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
^just stating something that ford "claims". the 01's were suppose to have the WAP, but not sure how many has the teksids.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
@OP Does the motor in the link include any internals or is it just the block for $3000?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
thats just the block.. its worth it if u wanted too go big bore.. but id just go with a shortblock build from a company like MMR or such

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
haha, $3000 for a block? The MMR 900 is $3000...

My mmr 900 cost 3200 shipped to my door in WV. That also included upgraded main bolts, MMR oil pump, and notched pistons. Well worth it to me for a short block built by a company the had experience building Modular ford race engines. 4 years of abuse it still uses very little oil and makes great power.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
All of the modular blocks support up to 800 hp. The WAP and teksid aluminum, iron GT and Cobra blocks included. Aluminum ones are not "recommended" over 800 hp. The iron blocks are all good to over 1000 hp.

Basically, unless you want big bore or a 5.4l. Get whatever you can get your hands on, it will work. The only reason that big bore piece is worth it is if you HAVE to stay n/a and plan to rev the balls out of it to make big N/A power. Otherwise, just get a race built forged motore and boost its balls off and make more power than that n/a big bore ever will.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts