Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was basically handed a set 4V heads with all timing chains, front covers..... well actually more like a 4.6 4V complete motor without the block. It was free and off of a low miles car so what would be the process of doing this and would it even be worth it. I know about the intake manifold being a pain in the ass but I already have that solved. My main concern would be what acc. pieces to use and what if anything would have to be custom made. Any additional thoughts would be helpful.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't want to be one of those guys who says "Just buy a v8"(I'm doing a v8 swap). But unlike my swap which should be easy, yours is way too much work for not enough reward. Your gonna have a hell ova hard time getting it to work with the 05+ ecu its just not worth it.

IMO sell the 4v which you should be able to get $1,000 and get P&P heads w/ SPR I or II cams. That would put you close to if not on 400whp.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I stay with the 3v it's either turbo or nitrous with the current set up. This is more along the lines of building a high compression 5L N/A motor over the next couple of years piece by piece. It just so happened that I got the chance to have these parts to start the project when in all reality I didn't think I would ever have actually done it otherwise.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If I stay with the 3v it's either turbo or nitrous with the current set up. This is more along the lines of building a high compression 5L N/A motor over the next couple of years piece by piece. It just so happened that I got the chance to have these parts to start the project when in all reality I didn't think I would ever have actually done it otherwise.
With a high compression 5L 3v you can still get 400whp+ easily with a JPC intake manifold. Just saying their are ways to make your life easier. If you pay someone to do it, it will cost you thousands in just electrical work.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
its all crap, give it to me and i can...ah... dispose of it properly for you ;)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
actually two guys garage did a 2v-4v head swap on one of their shows they made a 4.6 2v into a 4.6 4v.
This was a head swap on a 2v 4.6 motor

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I found more info on it from the guy today. It's not from an early cobra like I thought, it's from a mark VIII not sure if that matters though. I really don't know a whole lot about the 4v motors. The car was totaled and the motor was purchased to be put in a kit car of some sort. The motor was disassembled and with most kit cars just set for years. At some point the block was sold and that's where we are at now. It's still all setting in this guys shop and if I don't go pick it up then I will probably let a friend of mine have it that has a high milage mark VIII that could probably use all of it more than me or so it sounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts