Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, part of which may be ridiculous, but if you don't know, you don't know, so I'm asking.

First off, how much more do the 4v heads flow than the 3v heads, and what power gains can be realized as a result of this, both with N/A & F/I applications.

Also, would any 4v heads fit on my 3v S197 block? Or is it a completely different animal?

I gotta stop hanging out in this section....I can see me becoming addicted real quick....

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hey, nothing wrong with hangin out in this section!! Its good for your health, and bad for your wallet!

All 4.6 mod blocks are interchangable when it comes to heads. The 3v heads flow very well, but are down by about 30% compared to the C 4v heads. I dont have exact CFM comparisons, but the 4v heads will make a considerable amount of more power over the 3v's in both N/A and FI configurations.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
some people will actually tell you that the 3v heads flow better than the 4v heads

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Couldn't find any #'s on 3v heads that haven't already been ported. Maybe someone else feels like looking harder than me...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The 3 valve heads are capable of good Naturally aspirated power though...Full bolt-ons and good cams and the 3 valve can easily make 350 rwhp.. That's without ported heads..:)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I cant seem to find stock flow #'s either.

I can tell you though, the 4v heads DO flow better than the 3v's. That i know is fact. Just wish i could find some numbers, even for myself.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. :)

Wow, amazing difference in flow between the 2v and 4v heads. (obviously lol), at even say, .400" lift.

Be interesting to find what the 3v heads do.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
ok, im shure this is a dumb newb question from a sixer.
but what kind of heads were used on the mack 1, the same as the '03 cobra or somthing diferent.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
ok cool thanks, wasent shure if ford changed somthing up on the heads for the cobras for the blower.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Do it zip. Get a set of P&P'd 4v heads and some nice rough cams. :D

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Zip, IMO the 4V heads don't improve enough over the 3V heads to warrant a swap. It would be hard, plus the performance improvment wouldn't be all that much, because the 3V heads do flow really good.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do it zip. Get a set of P&P'd 4v heads and some nice rough cams. :D
Dude, this is what I'm thinking. :yes :D

Zip, IMO the 4V heads don't improve enough over the 3V heads to warrant a swap. It would be hard, plus the performance improvment wouldn't be all that much, because the 3V heads do flow really good.
Well I would like to see some numbers first. If the 4v's come even close to the flow differential they have over even the 2v svo heads, I think it would make a difference, especially once you went FI.

Not to mention the cool factor of having a 4v head upgrade on my S197 :rockon lol :)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
4v heads, MMFF did a flow test at some point i beleive, but thats a magazine, trust that if you want

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
See, this i agree with. Only until you get into forced induction though, then the 4v heads will come out on top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts