Modded Mustang Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I did actually find a set from a continental on eBay, but there a earlyer model, so that's why I had asked about them exiting the head

I kinda wanna keep the orginal block in it, so that's why I was thinking just heads. The eaton most likely would be few years down the road, so I would skip internals and just go for a n/a beast for now (besides internals, just cams and bolt ons)

That was actually my build plan for a "poor man's termi." Some Continental C heads on my existing Romeo shortblock, thow on an Eaton swap, and it's almost the same. Your heads are a little more restrictive and you have to keep it under 450 due to the rotating assembly, but it would be a blast. Instead I went a little crazy and went way bigger than I ever planned on.

Keep in mind there's a big combustion chamber difference in 2v and 4v heads.

The dish on a stock GT is -17/18cc IIRC. That's good for ~9.5:1 with a 2v head, but with a 4v head it drops to about 8.6:1. That's fine and dandy with an Eaton, in fact it's the same as the 03/04 Cobra, but it is going to blow NA.

if you get a pre 04 head and you worry about the plugs you can get a timesert kit with full threads and put inserts in each head. This actually shouldn't be too hard to do if the heads are off the motor.

If I recall, Timeserts can be installed with the head on the motor (not that I would trust it to do it without any shavings entering the cylinder though). I think they're a few hundred though.

There's 3 ways of correcting the problem, 1 being helicoil (not my mehod of choice), the timesert, and another (dont remember the name). I believe the timesert is the one that is Ford approved though.

If I recall, Timeserts can be installed with the head on the motor (not that I would trust it to do it without any shavings entering the cylinder though). I think they're a few hundred though.

There's 3 ways of correcting the problem, 1 being helicoil (not my mehod of choice), the timesert, and another (dont remember the name). I believe the timesert is the one that is Ford approved though.
Ford actually approved a "lockstitch" method for dealerships. It's the most robust, and naturally the most expensive.

I got the Timesert kit for modular motors for around $250 used. The inserts are pretty tough.

And it's actually not bad for shavings, assuming you take your time and pack the **** out of the flutes with grease. I caught all but one shaving, and that one I got out with a shop vac duct taped to some hose that I shoved down the spark plug bore. :lmao

If you ever do need inserts though I'm willing to rent my kit out. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than taking it somewhere.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.