Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im in need of a new engine now due to mine got a bent rod after the flood we had. :( I recently took a trip to our local u pull it, but the only 4.6s they had were lincoln 4v's. There are a few low mileages for a STEAL, just wondering what kind of work and run ins i'd be looking at if I decided to go with that. Wiring harness? Cpu? Also i'm a 4r70w.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
There's a Mark VIII swap thread that outlines everything that needs to be done.

Just make sure it's from a Mark VIII, not a Continental. They had 4.6 DOHC's in them, but they were front wheel drive and not compatible with the Mustang.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they have a few of each. So i'll cross out the FWD one. Thanks! The thread on here?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
that damn thread should be a stickie at the top, dont know why its not. This topic is only asked 87585 times a day

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So just wondering, why won't the fwd 32 valves work? Motor mounts, tranny bolt pattern? I know it'd need a new intake to face the front for sure.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
tabs that are cast into the block for fwd mounts etc. Only thing fwd blocks are good for is the scrap aluminum. The rest of the engine, heads intake etc is the same, just the block has the mutations to it

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
tabs that are cast into the block for fwd mounts etc. Only thing fwd blocks are good for is the scrap aluminum. The rest of the engine, heads intake etc is the same, just the block has the mutations to it
I believe the exact details that are different are the transmission bolt pattern and oil cooler. Might have a different oil pan on it too, but those are interchangable.

Since Ford didn't feel like re-designing the block entirely, I believe they simply left the RWD bosses undrilled. In theory you could drill and tap them, then replace the cooler and oil pan, but by that time you've wasted more time and money than it's worth.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side that is the 4v. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts