Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1125 Posts

·
KCCO
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER / SPOILER ALERT / CLIFF NOTES:
This project started out strong, then plans changed and changed and changed again, to the point where I did too much, couldn't afford EVERYTHING, which led to skimping out in some areas and eventually catastrophe. Anyway, here is the order and transformations of the build plans from day 1 till now:

1.) 2v engine with procharger (cheap, quicker than most vehicles, limited to ~400hp)
2.) 2v n/a with built block to eventually support a bigger hp blown setup (lower CR wouldve made it slower initially, but safer eventually))
3.) 4v swap
4.) 4v swap n/a with built block to eventually support a bigger hp blown setup (lower CR wouldve made it slower initially, but safer eventually)
5.) 4v swap with Eaton blower and built block (got Eaton swap from friend with 03 Cobra that went TT, this is where the thread title came from because I also had a Teksid block built with an MMR forged rotating assembly). This is where **** started to hit the fan. Never ran strong, had a million problems here and there, ended up with 2 blown head gaskets, piston rings fused to the pistons, metal putty from shavings in the oil pan, every bearing chewed to shreds, gouged cylinder, piston, and head, and an exhaust leak from almost every single exhaust port (what I get for buying cheap shitty flowtech headers), and almost nothing reusable except the rods and crank. (This is the "Catastrophe")
6.) In light of that ^ , my friend that was going TT ran into a bunch of problems as well, so we decided that he would get all his Eaton swap parts back and go back to a "normal" 03 Cobra engine, and I would go back to the somewhat original n/a 4v swap. I sold the MMR 4.75 crank, Manley rods, entire 750-1000hp fuel setup and went to a factory 03/04 Cobra fuel setup, sold the fancy oil pan and windage tray, etc. I decided to get a factory WAP block found in 01 Cobras so I would have the higher compression instead of the lower CR of a block built for a supercharger, picked up a UPR K member and coilovers, a quality set of ARH headers, a Borla stinger catback, and racing seats. Thats pretty much the highlights of the build since the meltdown.

ORIGINAL START OF THIS BUILD THREAD:

So I just pulled the trigger on a brand new 01 cobra complete intake manifold, including 24lb injectors, all bolts and gaskets, etc. Next will be to order the heads, maybe in a few weeks. This will be my build thread of sorts, although it may take a year to finish up. Plans after its done are to swap the manifold with my buddies and his ported eaton, when he goes turbo.

Will update list with prices for complete swap as I go along:

Complete intake manifold: $480 shipped

·
KCCO
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the dark side!

And if you're looking for someone else to get an Eaton swap from...

...just remember, mine's powdercoated black and ported. :D I can't help it, a TT setup is far too tempting. So when you're ready to go Eaton I'll get ready to go TT. Hopefully I'll be back in Buffalo then too.
Hmmm... I just might have to see who would want less money on top of the manifold... And rememeber, the manifold is Brand New

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Hmmm... I just might have to see who would want less money on top of the manifold... And rememeber, the manifold is Brand New
Keep in mind I also have a nice Fluidyne heat exchanger and JLT carbon fiber CAI. :D Definitely the better pick.

...unless you're a cheap bastard. :shiftyeyes

Not to mention a Cobra tank with twin GT pumps may be on the table, because if I go turbo I'm going return style.

Ugh, why am I already thinking of 65mm twins? Seems I'm hell bent on way too much horsepower.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
I hear ya. Just no time for me. No shame in planning for the future though. And I'll be ecstatic just to break 500hp. My Eaton setup won't be going anywhere for awhile, but if you want to swap, considering I'll hopefully be in the area by then, that'd work out for both of us.

And here's some eye candy of my Eaton swap in action from the PO. He's got several other vids too.

He had the motor pulled when I picked it up. Had a nasty hole in the side of the block.

Btw, I'm keeping the 03 Cobra gauge cluster I got with the swap. :p

·
KCCO
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
K. Just bought 04 Mach 1 heads with *6000 miles, aftermarket Teksid block with <1000 miles, stock Mach one internals, all timing components, oil pan, basically everything except the crank. All included, not shipped: $950

Propaganda:

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Very nice build, looking forward to seeing it complete!

·
KCCO
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So once I get a crank, I can assemble the motor. Anyone wanna help me out assembling a list of any other little odds and ends I will need? Such as pulleys, throttle/cruise control cable, etc. It'd be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
Frankly, your build is going to be wayyy to expensive. You should just quit right now. To make you feel better, I'll buy everything you have at the price you paid. Like, right now. Hurry.

1 - 20 of 1125 Posts