Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell all,

I just became a new owner of a decent '65 coupe. She has a 302 w/ a couple bolt ons. I want to do an EFI swapout so I have a slew of questions. Please help.
1. Where and what year can I get a 5.0 HO?
2. What kind of things should I be on the look out for?
3. How do I do the conversion?
4. How much should it run me?
5. What size rearend and what gears?

... and off subject... I'm about to start tearing into her this weekend. I'm going to put here in the air and really start inspecting. My first plan of attack in my restmod is to pull the engine/tranny. I want to clean and paint the engine bay and undercarriage. I'm a mechanic, but an acft mech in the USAF. I'm mechanically inclined, but I've never worked on cars. What basic tools should I get to to clean and paint the bay and underbody? And what cleaners, solvents, degreasers, paints, primers should I use?

Sorry for the long write up and I've done a sh*t ton of research, but I just need some help here. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey bud welcome, first order of business you are tackling lots of separate things here, I can sense your excitement, which is cool, but my first recommendation would be for you to break up your questions into separate threads. Stick to the 5.0 swap in this thread, and if need be create new ones for the other topics, ie paint and prep, and another for the rear end. There have been tons of threads done on the 5.0 swap so run some searches first.

What should you be on a lookout for, well:

There were two Electronic Fuel Injection types for the 302 the early speed-density based EFI systems were fitted on all engines through 1988 after which year it was replaced by a mass-air type measuring system. Stay away from the speed density donor cars, so look for something 1989 and up.

Try to get all of your EFI parts from the same car, it may be cheaper to buy a used donor car than it is to piece meal all the parts. You will want the wiring harnesses to mate, you will want the computer to match the tranny, the size of your fuel injectors, the sensor types, etc. You can get a salvaged title car for cheap, etc. Stay away from cash for clunkers as their engines were seized.

Getting the right computer ECM what ever you call it is key. A9L is the most common 89-93 MAF 5-speed computer catch code.

1) E9ZF-12A650-AA (sometimes A2A), A9L, 89-92 Manual transmission Mustang.
2) E9ZF-12A650-BA (sometimes ), Manual transmission convertible
3) E9ZF-12A650-CA (sometimes C2A), A9P, 89-92 Auto trans Mustang.
4) F3ZF-12A650-AA Manual transmission:
5) F3ZF-12A650-BA Automatic transimission
6) F3ZF-12A650-DA (later replaced by DB), A3M1, 1993 Manual trans Mustang. Universal?
7) F3ZF-12A650-FA (later replaced by FB), C3W1, 1993 Auto trans Mustang.
8) F3ZF-12A650-CA, X3Z. 1993 Cobra

You will need an electronic fuel pump and an additional fuel line, this is the return fuel line that caries excess gasoline back to the gas tank.

List of EFI donor cars, not all of these are HOs

1986 – 1993 Ford Mustang
1987 – 1993 Ford Thunderbird
1987 – 1993 Mercury Cougar
1986 – 1992 Lincoln MK VII
1986 Mercury Capri

Note: I have not done this myself but I have acquired most of the parts and am fixin' on doing it also.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend of mine did it and it ended up costing him over $1k when he already had a doner car. Had to get wiring harness adapters, cross members, fuel pump, and all kind of other unforseen stuff. He said if he did again he would have ditched the EFI and stayed with carb and saved about $700. I'm thinking of late 80s 302HO/AOD and going with carb in a 67. Good luck either way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts