Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 mustang gt with a stock motor except an e303 cam, 1989 mustang gt computer (maf) long tubes, o/r h pipe, mac cat back, under drive pullies, cold air intake, bbk throttle body, maybe a couple other little gadgets. its also a 5 speed. The car only made 235 rwhp. The guy said that my cam is weak and probobly hurting me. Is this normal? I will get the sheet posted when i get a camera

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yeah the ford racing cams dont really do much..usually hurt more than good..haha...

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's pretty darn respectable for what the car has done to it. Don't believe everything you read about the "letter" cams. My "F" cam is 10x better than the Holley Systemax one that I received w/the kit.

My combo. ford GT40 crate motor. Holley Systemax kit, F cam, Long Tubes, 24 lb inj. 75tb, 76mm mass air. No PS, no AC and no front sway bar. 308hp/310tq. And this was on 7 very rich almost fouled plugs and one that looks so lean it's scary. One of my injectors is either dirty or not working

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
That's pretty darn respectable for what the car has done to it. Don't believe everything you read about the "letter" cams. My "F" cam is 10x better than the Holley Systemax one that I received w/the kit.

My combo. ford GT40 crate motor. Holley Systemax kit, F cam, Long Tubes, 24 lb inj. 75tb, 76mm mass air. No PS, no AC and no front sway bar. 308hp/310tq. And this was on 7 very rich almost fouled plugs and one that looks so lean it's scary. One of my injectors is either dirty or not working
why would you buy a gt40 crate motor and take off the stuff and put the systemax setup ontop of that? cuz the gt40 crate motor is stock 5.0 block not bored or stroked..and the fcam is a decent little cam for a small build..but any cam from crane, comp, crower or even the trick flow cams..or hell a custom cam would have made another 10hp EASY over that little cam

im not bashing it cuz i run it..but i see no difference between with it and without it..

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
that is a good number man...what was your TQ?

my AOD car when it had exhaust and pullies made 200 HP, 291 TQ

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds pretty darn good to me.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking more 300-320 rwtq and 255 rwhp. I guess im so used to my blown 07's numbers i feel like these are so small. I had 295 rwtq.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
why would you buy a gt40 crate motor and take off the stuff and put the systemax setup ontop of that?
Most of the Ford crate motors are long blocks. You still need an U/L intake and guess he did not want the GT40X heads? I have the same thing but with the X heads still on.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I think those numbers are pretty good for what you have too. The stock intakes and heads arent that great and the E-cam probably didn't do much for you. You basically got about 45 RWHP out of bolt-ons and a mild cam.. not bad.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Numbers sound damn good to me.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I have a 1988 mustang gt with a stock motor except an e303 cam, 1989 mustang gt computer (maf) long tubes, o/r h pipe, mac cat back, under drive pullies, cold air intake, bbk throttle body, maybe a couple other little gadgets. its also a 5 speed. The car only made 235 rwhp. The guy said that my cam is weak and probobly hurting me. Is this normal? I will get the sheet posted when i get a camera
That cam isn't hurting you. People make boat loads of horsepower with stock cams so the E303 is not that weak, considering the rest of the engine is stock. That horsepower number is about right. Stock is typically 180-190 thru a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That cam isn't hurting you. People make boat loads of horsepower with stock cams so the E303 is not that weak, considering the rest of the engine is stock. That horsepower number is about right. Stock is typically 180-190 thru a 5 speed.

thank you, sir

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
how do the 5.0's even tink they can keep up with lt1's lol. Barely weigh less and WAyy less horses
good question and i read on this web page that they can keep up with gtp's ive got a buddy with one with a pully upgrade but we havent had a chance to line them up yet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts