Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if its better/easier to have a 5.0 or to get a 2.3l turbo in my mustang. I know absolutely nothing. How hard is it to find either? What the frick do i do? I jst want more than my lonely 2.3l. my dad says if we find a complete or almost complete 5.0 we could drop it in less than a week in time. I just need help maybe links to forums for people liek me who know NOTHING i mean nothing about engines. I just want to get started on learning.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
It is personal preference as far as what motor you want. The 5.0 will probably be the cheaper option though. 5.0's are a dime a dozen. 2.3T mustang motors are not. fyi.. the 2.3T (SVO) outperforms the 5.0 and catches close to 30mpg while doing it. Food for thought. :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
For ease and price I'd say go with a 5.0L motor. The aftermarket support is WAY bigger than 2.3T! But I love my SVO and once you get some basic knowledge on what's what and how it works it becomes very doable. Just that it's not common knowledge so it scares some people away.

You could probably find a junkyard 2.3T engine for about $250 complete. There are many sites that have write ups on how to convert the ecu's to what's needed for a 2.3T engine.

Look into fourcedfour, foureyedpride, stinger-performance, boport, turboford websites. All focused on the 2.3T engine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
IMO the turbo is less work and cheaper option. You will pay more for the motor, but there is less involved to put it in and get it running. With the 5.0, you will have to change motor mounts, trans, rear axle, computer and harness, radiator etc...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
IMO the turbo is less work and cheaper option. You will pay more for the motor, but there is less involved to put it in and get it running. With the 5.0, you will have to change motor mounts, trans, rear axle, computer and harness, radiator etc...
If you use a stock 5.0 the stock 7.5 rear end will hold. They are good to at least 300 ft lbs of torque

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have done both, the 5.0 is easier if you have a complete doner wreck to do it right, v8 springs,v8 brakes and lines, 8.8 rear, fuel lines, exhaust hangers etc thats why having a doner is best. Turbo is straight forward swap 4cy to 4cyl but gets a little hairy if you dont have wiring skill, fabbing skill, and auto trouble shooting and tuning skills

1 - 7 of 7 Posts