Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so im not looking to finish this project in a weekend, itll be a long build as i get the spare cash to throw at a motor.
to start, i have an 04 crown vic with a 2V 4.6 that is built to the gills. 440rwhp all motor, N/A no spray. (its relevant i promise)
my 06GT is basically stock right now, save for the tuner, CAI, mufflers, and LTs. Shes sitting at 60k miles today.

i plan to build a motor and toss in the mustang, and then build the 3V thats in the stang to put in the Vic. the vic is at 80k and my wife POURS miles onto that thing like its going out of style, but we both love the car and she wants to keep driving it.

so the question is, would you guys and gals recomend doing a 5.0 swap out of the newer stangs (or older?) or better yet is that even possible? dont care to swap the trans, in fact i think i would rather have a 6 speed if i can find one. kinda seems like these things could use an extra gear. haha
or should i buy another 4.6 block to build? end plan for the mustang is a Kenne Bell Mammoth kit and i want to push as much boost as i can without turning my motor into an IED...so i know i would have to go with all forged internals and all that fun stuff.
would i make more power cheaper by using a 4.6 block than trying to fit a 5.0 under the hood?
also, if you kind folks could recomend a block to start the build, i would appreciate it. i have thought about a stock block since they seems to be really great blocks to start with. i figure a stock block with forged internals should handle more boost than i could throw at it...but then again i dont know much about boost.

i plan to start this build soon, but i look forward to your answers and will probably buy whichever block you say is the one for me. cant wait to see the responses!!

btw, if it matters, my stang is a DD, but it will be moved to a weekend toy when its paid off and i can take on another vehicle to drive daily. that being said, im not looking for a drag setup, im looking for a dependable monster...if such a thing exists... i dont want it stupid to drive, though i could give two craps if it guzzles fuel...i dont drive far enough to care.
another BIG thing for me is how it sounds. mainly idling...im a Harley guy, so idle is HUGE to me. haha. i want this thing to beat holes in the ground and i dont really care how its low speed drivability is since im not in traffic very much...i know a custom grind cam is the answer to that, but i have no clue if that will matter much or any on which motor i go with...

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
sub'd, Lito Manuel did a swap. but I would love to see your build

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
A little off topic but what are the specs on the crown vic motor? 440hp NA?
+1

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
Recent info seems to relate that the 3v block is stronger than the newer Coyote block. A few examples of built coyotes have had the piston wall breaking loose from the block. Especially if you over bore the block the 3v is the better block. Since you're going to SC forged internals with an over bore and stock stroke would probably be the strongest way to go.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
For simplicity's sake, I'd do a built 3V. No wiring to mess with and would be cheaper than the 8K needed for a coyote and control pack.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
You have all the time in the world, but what's a realistic budget?

Were I in your position, I'd build up the 3v in the Mustang, leave it there, and buy/build another motor for the Vic. That would allow me to only have to deal with wiring in a new motor on one car, rather than having to get the Vic to control the 3v and make the Mustang talk to a newer motor.

For the Vic, my thought would be take the 3v 5.4L out of an F150/Navigator, add boost, and be done with it. Or if you could track down a 6.2L Raptor motor, perhaps (though I don't know what if any aftermarket exists for those).

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
Make sure you really take care of the valvetrain in the 3v. Esp cam phasers. Ive got a built 3v ill sell you pushing around 380-390 at the wheels. But the new boss motor replaced this motor and its much better of a motor.
908ssp that really doesnt happen much except under hard conditions such as racing or being a dumass. Usually... In general the 5.0 is a better motor in general

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
3V valve train is perfectly fine. There's really no point in upgrading since the followers and lash adjusters cost like 3 grand for aftermarket. Replace the stock valve springs with something that can handle more RPM and have fun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you're SC you don't have to rev the piss out of it. I'd rather have a 450rwhp SC 3 valve than a NA 450rwhp 4 valve any day. He is talking forged so ultimate hp is what he is after a blown 3 valve is going to be much easier and just as reliable if not more so than a blown coyote.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Down the road I'll probably stay with my 3v.

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little off topic but what are the specs on the crown vic motor? 440hp NA?
i gotta be honest...i have no idea...i handed a local guy who built drag cars where i used to live a wad of cash and said make it fast. and he DID!!
ive had it on a few dynos and it averages out to around 440, since we all know no two dynos will show identical.
but yes, its NA.

i know it has extensive head and cam work. thats the only thing im certain of, since he told me when he sent the heads off to get them machined. and the cams are custom grinds. she looks stock when you pop the hood, which is what i was after on it. its like having twin 350s on a pontoon boat!! haha

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have all the time in the world, but what's a realistic budget?

Were I in your position, I'd build up the 3v in the Mustang, leave it there, and buy/build another motor for the Vic. That would allow me to only have to deal with wiring in a new motor on one car, rather than having to get the Vic to control the 3v and make the Mustang talk to a newer motor.

For the Vic, my thought would be take the 3v 5.4L out of an F150/Navigator, add boost, and be done with it. Or if you could track down a 6.2L Raptor motor, perhaps (though I don't know what if any aftermarket exists for those).

now the 5.4 swap is NOT a bad idea for the vic!!!

well i dont look to sell my mustang, so i really dont have much of a budget. whatever part i need next on the block, ill save till i have it. then the next and then the next. im in NO rush on it, since i put about 5k miles a year on a car. As much as i love this car, and with it being my dream car from when i was 16 i plan to keep it. plus this color is hard as HELL to find!! but that being said, i refuse to put a $ sign on the motor, since its going in my "dream come true" haha
kinda dumb, i know, but saving for this car and working toward it is alot of the reason i am where i am today.

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're SC you don't have to rev the piss out of it. I'd rather have a 450rwhp SC 3 valve than a NA 450rwhp 4 valve any day. He is talking forged so ultimate hp is what he is after a blown 3 valve is going to be much easier and just as reliable if not more so than a blown coyote.
i really should remember to use the multiquote button..... oh well...

i dont road course...i dont drag...i just want a MONSTER of a DD that i can play with some. not looking to make a donut machine or something... just something that when i lay on the skinny pedal, it will peel the skin off my face. i guess what im trying to say is, im starting to REALLY lean toward a 3V than a 5.0. with all forged, it should handle tons of boost, right? and a KB Mammoth takes a stock 3v from 279rwph to 771rwhp...so the website says anyway...
so by that logic, a forged 3v should handle 600-700 all day long with no real reliablity issues, right? i mean, of COURSE with that kind of rwhp, other parts are prone to failure such as clutch, DS, U joints, and **** like that, but its kind of a no brainer to setup the car to handle the HP and TQ...

am i making sense, or am i just babbling?

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Beer Is Good
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 44 Posts