Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 v6 shell. I have a 1989 302 HO out of a fox I'm putting in it. My qyestion is what pcm, harness, and cluster do i need to run to make this work?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I think the 89 was an oddball in that it needs an 89 specific harness and computer. But since youre dealing with a 2001 swap i dont think it matters. Will you be adding a 2001 interior or Fox? The harness will need modified of course for a 2001 cluster regardless. I dont know the changes but i know they are nowhere near the same. Every harness in the car will need modified to some degree. And you will need a new k-member as the 5.0 and 4.6 were different.

Its a hell of a lot of work imo.

Will this be a street car? Will it pass inspection? The Explorer used the 5.0 in 2001, but not the Mustang. Some places will fail you right off the bat for something like that. Engines need to be the same year or newer than the car they will be used in, and you cant swap model lines. I am assuming you already looked into this?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I also beleive the 01's had a returnless type fuel system & Fox's had return style!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I also beleive the 01's had a returnless type fuel system & Fox's had return style!
I also believe this is true. You will need to convert to a return type system. There is a member on here who did this swap. I'll see if I can find his build thread tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
It might be cheaper just to drop a stock v6 for your year car back into it.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Read through mustangmatt96gt's build thread. He put a 351 in his 4.6 SN which would be pretty similar. Still can't find who did your exact swap. It's a white new edge

Found it
http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/1304606-project-swapping-94-gt-drivetrain-1999-v6-vert-chassis.html

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be a street car. No inspections here in Alabama so that isn't an issue. I realize its a lot of work but I already have my mind set on it so I'm going to do it. That's why i bought the shell. My other option was a 4.6 but I figured a 5.0 would be easier other than the cluster issue. I also heard a 5.0 would bolt up to the v6 k member

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I would suggest finding a wrecked 94 or 95 so you can use it to swap the dash, harnesses, instrument cluster, fuel lines and everything else over. That's gonna be the easiest way to do it. The frames are the same so everything will basically swap over its just a lot of work.

And yes the v6 and v8 used the same k member but if you have it all apart why not just go tubular?

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, why would I need to swap all the body harnesses out?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You might not i don't know what will work with the other dash. You'll need the engine harness though

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What if I went carbed? That's something ive been considering. Then I could just use the v6 pcm and cluster.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I don't think the v6 cluster will work because a) the trans for the 5.0 will be a mechanical gauge and I think 01 is electric (not sure when they switched though) and b) I'm not sure how the pats system would like that. Essentially being hooked up but not getting readings from anything.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would either go carbed or put a 5.4 in it.. and honestly is I was gonna carb it I would put in a SBC its a whole lot easier

1 - 14 of 14 Posts