Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on building my own turbo kit for my 5.0 and I have a couple of questions for people who have done it before.
Here is a list of what the car has now.
1. gt40 heads and intake
2. f303 cam
3. 4:10 rear gears
4. stock block and rotating assembly
5. stock fuel system
I will be running a 55mm (Inducer) Borg Warner turbo.
now for the questions.

1. will I need any special head gaskets and intake gaskets?
2. should I get ARP head bolts and better valve springs? if so, what kind?
3. will 42# injectors be perfectly fine?
4. If you have built your own kit, where did you find cheap aluminum intake tubing for the intercooler and etc...
5. should I run a smaller rear gear? if so, what size?
6. if I wanted to tune it myself, does any one have any experience with do it your self tuning soft wear that can guide me in the right direction?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Please let me know if you have any advise.

·
Banned
980 Posts
I'm planning on building my own turbo kit for my 5.0 and I have a couple of questions for people who have done it before.
Here is a list of what the car has now.
1. gt40 heads and intake
2. f303 cam
3. 4:10 rear gears
4. stock block and rotating assembly
5. stock fuel system
I will be running a 55mm (Inducer) Borg Warner turbo.
now for the questions.

1. will I need any special head gaskets and intake gaskets?
2. should I get ARP head bolts and better valve springs? if so, what kind?
3. will 42# injectors be perfectly fine?
4. If you have built your own kit, where did you find cheap aluminum intake tubing for the intercooler and etc...
5. should I run a smaller rear gear? if so, what size?
6. if I wanted to tune it myself, does any one have any experience with do it your self tuning soft wear that can guide me in the right direction?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Please let me know if you have any advise.
I would use ARP hb's. 42# injectors will be fine. You will prob want to run a 3.55 or 3.27, I am running a 3:73 with a 275/60 tire but I have a 5 speed( and I feel I would benefit from a smaller gear ).

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
im running a 3.55 rear gear (havnt drove the car with the turbo setup done yet)

ARP head bolts r cheap and yes u should buy them (not to get confused with ARP head studs)

42lb injectors you will be good unless you plan on running lots of boost and making rediculous amount of power.

for management look into Moates Quarterhorse and the tuning software you want to use BE (binary editor)

ull want an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, at least a walbro 255lph fuel pump

dont know about what valve springs but better (double valve) springs cant hurt

you are also going to want: Innovate motorsports wideband/
a nice boost guage

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I recommend going to on3performance and buying there kit. They have all yOur needs down to the injectors and fuel pump. Check out there cars on YouTube. They got good stuff

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
You'll need to swap the 4.10's out for something else like a 3.55 or lower because you'll be running out of gear easily and first gear will be totally pointless or non existing.

If you can pony up the cash, the arp head studs are well worth it.. and will make the head install much easier.

Head gasket.. stock will hold on low boost but I would recommend doing the fel pro MLS gaskets and be done with it.

42lb injectors are fine as long as your not hitting the 500hp range then you'll need to bump up to some 60lb or whatever.

I can't say what to get but you should always upgrade the valve springs when installing a cam or even on a stock cam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your advise guys. It really helps. Please feel free to add anything else. I will only be running 10psi of boost. From what i've heard that could put down around 500 rwhp. So I will get the 60# injectors, ARP HB, the good felpro gasket, and the 3:55 rear gear. And how much is the on3performance kit?

·
Banned
980 Posts
I also think On3 Performance is the best way to go for best bang for the buck. I believe when On3 started making kits they were made from stainless and they were having a bunch of cracking issues with there welds. Since then they changed to mild steel and they have had better success that way.... Also, as far as tuning, as previously mentioned Moates QuarterHorse or a PMS.
Here's a video of when I first bought my car, It has a 3:73 and it's retardly stupid in 1st and 2nd.... but I think I have solved that issue by putting a 275/60 on it. Weather is about to break soon so I will get a ton of new videos, Since I bought it I made a few changes that should put it in the mid to low 10s.. For a stock block, on3 performance kit, rpm heads, custom cam it runs real good. It put down 521rwhp. Next year is when the fun begins...then comes the block, & 88mm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well in that case i'll probably only run 8psi for now. And I priced out the On3performance kit and it is $2,100 shipped. I'm just going to buy that. And as far as tuning is concerned, my friend bought the quarterhorse for his car so him and I are just going to play around with that. Does anyone have a base tune for my setup that I could possibly crib?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
If your running the 70mm, a 255, 80mm blowthrough, and 255's I have a tune that will prob work wot and will cruise and idle like stock. Just gotta play with timing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice video!. And flattus I may be interested in your tune, i'll let you know. I'm purchasing the kit from On3 in a couple weeks along with all the other supporting mods. hopefully i'll have it done in a month or two with working full time and everything. I'll keep you guys up to date on the progress.

·
902 Posts
it will be sweet! im excited to play around with a turbo kit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you going to come over and help me out? It will be fun =) Kinda scared for the tuning process though. But I'm sure I can learn and we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

·
902 Posts
oh i gatta help with beer consumption lol. tuning will be alright, sounds like you got a hookup on a tune to start with too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha Beer!! The most important part of any project. But yeah i'll cross that bridge when it comes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey camin89GT...you said first and second were usless??? It seems like 3rd is barely there and 4th was just about usable. That vid Is awsome.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
fuel PUMP! 500HP is around the limit/limit of stock fuel rails, might as well upgrade stock straws of fuel lines...

Sh*t adds up quick! thats why i want to stay under 500 for now, single digit boost (safe/engine friendly)
For that matter, 500 hp is about the limit of the stock 5.0 block casting.

We've recently come out with a $599 plug and play 5.0 standalone controller that eliminates the need for a larger MAF (it has a built in MAP sensor instead). Tuning it is pretty much a matter of plugging in new fuel and spark numbers on charts that go by RPM and MAP sensor readings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts