Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which cobra is better and why? cheepest upgreads=more power
lif time of both motors thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
4.6L hands down. More power to start, more potential for power, way stronger block. If you are talking bolt on power, the 5.0L will respond better, but once you get up above the 500HP mark, the 5.0L will break apart.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What do you mean by this?
The 5.0L gets more power from bolt ons than the 4.6L, or at least that is what I have heard. Never owned a 5.0L mustang. Another thing is cost and availability of aftermarket parts, a H/C/I setup for a 5.0L is way cheaper and easier to find than a 4.6L. You are generally talking $300-$500 for a cam as compared to $1100 for cams for the 4.6L.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The 5.0L gets more power from bolt ons than the 4.6L, or at least that is what I have heard. Never owned a 5.0L mustang. Another thing is cost and availability of aftermarket parts, a H/C/I setup for a 5.0L is way cheaper and easier to find than a 4.6L. You are generally talking $300-$500 for a cam as compared to $1100 for cams for the 4.6L.
The 5.0 does have more bolt-on options but how much power can one make without cam, heads or an intake? It's still not as much much as a 4v. Adding heads and cams to a stock bottom end 5.0 will increase power by a good amount but then it will only be on par with a stock 4v.

I can add cams and long tubes to a stock 4v and make 360rwhp. What does it take to get a stock bottom end, 5.0 to 360rwhp?

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The 5.0 does have more bolt-on options but how much power can one make without cam, heads or an intake? It's still not as much much as a 4v. Adding heads and cams to a stock bottom end 5.0 will increase power by a good amount but then it will only be on par with a stock 4v.

I can add cams and long tubes to a stock 4v and make 360rwhp. What does it take to get a stock bottom end, 5.0 to 360rwhp?

You get what you pay for.
Intake, exhaust, UDP's, etc I never said it was much, but it's usually more than what a 4.6L is going to see. H/C/I 331 stroker is what it would take. Like I said though, it's all about what you want it for. The 5.0L will have gobs of torque down low.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The 5.0L will have gobs of torque down low.
Here's a graph that compares a pushrod combo compared to a mildy cammed stock Mach combo. Note that the 4v makes both more hp and tq than themore expensive H/C/I pushrod combo.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here's a graph that compares a pushrod combo compared to a mildy cammed stock Mach combo. Note that the 4v makes both more hp and tq than themore expensive H/C/I pushrod combo.
I never said that it wouldn't, in fact I recall saying that the 4.6L has more potential for power to start with and is the better motor. The 5.0L in stock form makes peak torque at 2400RPM, where the 4V is quite a bit higher.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Who races at 2400? My point has been made.
No one does, but around town it's nice to have. People do get cars for more than just racing. My old T-bird SC was a breeze to drive around town, I didn't have to spin it to death to take off from a hill with ease, or get around someone.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I never said that it wouldn't, in fact I recall saying that the 4.6L has more potential for power to start with and is the better motor. The 5.0L in stock form makes peak torque at 2400RPM, where the 4V is quite a bit higher.
A pushrod 5.0 makes 275 ft lbs at the flywheel at 2400rpm. My Mach 1 makes 270ft lbs at the flywheel (225 ft lbs at the rear wheels ) at 2500rpm and continues to increase and is over 300ft lbs from 4000 to 5000 RPMs. BTW, 225ft lbs at the rear wheels is roughly 270ft lbs at the flywheel. My peak tq is 367ft lbs at the flywheel at 4250RPM.

At no time does the engine have to be spun to death.

I'm thinking my mod motor responds to mods very well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A pushrod 5.0 makes 275 ft lbs at the flywheel at 2400rpm. My Mach 1 makes 270ft lbs at the flywheel (225 ft lbs at the rear wheels ) at 2500rpm and continues to increase and is over 300ft lbs from 4000 to 5000 RPMs. BTW, 225ft lbs at the rear wheels is roughly 270ft lbs at the flywheel. My peak tq is 367ft lbs at the flywheel at 4250RPM.

At no time does the engine have to be spun to death.

I'm thinking my mod motor responds to mods very well.
Your mach does, but how much is it modified? What does a stock mach make at that RPM? Heck, what does a B headed motor make at that RPM? I know that my NPI feels like it has more torque below 3K than my Cobra does.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Your mach does, but how much is it modified? What does a stock mach make at that RPM? Heck, what does a B headed motor make at that RPM? I know that my NPI feels like it has more torque below 3K than my Cobra does.
My only mods are 96-98 cobra intake cams, march damper and an off-road X. It still has a stock intake tube, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds.

B head Cobra's make terrible tq because of their heads.

·
-- Logan --
2,202 Posts
a 4v 4.6 mach 1 or cobra over a foxbody 5.0 IMOC

The foxbodies are fun to build, and "relatively" cheap to build due to so many parts being in circulation.

However, I'd pick the Cobra's (if i had the money) because it has:
1) hand built engine
2) Forged OEM parts
3) supercharged
4) t-56 stock
5) already has 4v heads
6) better interior

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You need to clarify what year of Cobra you are talking about. I would assume 96-98.

Regardless when comparing a 5.0 to a C-HEAD 4V, they are better bolt-on/potential wise then the 5.0. Which is what n/a svt is getting at.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My only mods are 96-98 cobra intake cams, march damper and an off-road X. It still has a stock intake tube, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds.

B head Cobra's make terrible tq because of their heads.
Those cobra intake cams make decent gains in HP and tq over the stock mach 1 intake cams

1 - 18 of 18 Posts