Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Mercury Capri, which is the same as a Mustang, and I can't go out, fire it up drive it about oh.... 2 miles, until it heats to NORMAL temperature. Then, It will die and won't start back. It's losing spark somehow. it won't start until it cools completely.
I'm getting irritated with it, and tempted to send it to the crusher..
List of new parts.
Motor.
Distributer.
Ignition control mod.
coil.
alternator.
Battery.
solenoid.
Voltage regulator.
ANY help would be appreciated.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Sounds like a crank sensor.

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's from a late 70's model Bronco. Do they have crank sensors?
This car came with a 255ci v8. The owner before me changed it to a 302. It ran perfect until I shattered my oil pump shaft through a cylinder wall. it runs like a dream until it heats up. and just bamm. dead. and won't restart until it has cooled off.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
Went through this with my 91 years ago. I replaced distributor and it was fine for about two weeks then would do it again. Where is your coil located? Anywhere it could be getting hot? Is your coil a good brand?

All I can suggest is getting another distributor from a known good running car and see if that fixed it.

I never could get problem resolved, traded mustang in and now I see it around town sometimes. This was my very first mustang also. :(
Sent by carrier pigeon

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Sounds like a crank sensor.
:facepalm: That's why some people should just stick to what they know.

No, your car has no crank sensor, nor a computer. I assume that you've checked for spark when it won't start and that's how you know it's spark and not fuel? Check power to coil when that's happening and keep working your way backwards.

·
4 cam 4 life
2,825 Posts
Does this thing have an ECU? Did you convert it to EFI? I know it didn't come factory with one...just asking. There have been several A9L/ECU issues that when the car heats up, it dies and won't restart till it cools. Its a ECU problem. Thats why I asked. If you have the 81 body, then its impossible to put the ECU in the stock location. If someone converted it, then the ECU is chilling someplace else.

I know this may not be much help, esp if you have no ECU. But just trying to help. I went through the same thing with my 91 LX for 2 years. Would die hot, and restart cold perfect. Ended up being the ECU.

Have you verified its spark? Like when it won't start, have you pulled a plug quickly and turned it over checking it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it's not an EFI. And, narleycarley, It's an accell superstock coil from autozone, was one of the more expensive ones, but it's located on the intake.This link is to a picture of the OLD motor, i don't have a new one on here, but this is where everything is located at.
And, Neverenuff, when it won't start, I tried that. and I can crank all day and not a fire, but as soon as I let off the key, It'll get one shot of spark, but still won't start.

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
Old Chryslers wouldn"t start until the key was released because of the starting system balast resistor. I don't believe this car has one but check with something simple like a starter relay and a fuseable link somewhere in the starting system. I may be way off but you might have to think out of the box and let us know what you figure out.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts