Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some post on another website and this guy stated

"The next thing i'd go for is a new muffler or exhaust system. The v6 muffler is very very restrictive and replacing it with a better muffler can free 5-10 horsepower. Many people convert to dual exhaust but performance wise it doesn't show any gain over a good single muffler "

Im wondering if this is true, cuase i have a flowmaster muffler sitting in my garage till i get the money for a whole new exhuast sytem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was reading some post on another website and this guy stated

"The next thing i'd go for is a new muffler or exhaust system. The v6 muffler is very very restrictive and replacing it with a better muffler can free 5-10 horsepower. Many people convert to dual exhaust but performance wise it doesn't show any gain over a good single muffler "

Im wondering if this is true, cuase i have a flowmaster muffler sitting in my garage till i get the money for a whole new exhuast sytem.
prolly true on the 05+, but not the 99-04.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Agreed. It's just like CRC MAF cleaner stating "Instant 5-7 Hp At the Wheels!"

Take any and all number claims with a grain of salt. Each vehicle, even the same model and year will differ slightly. I'd wait for the whole system to go in rather than work on it twice.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah if it were manufactuer i would have ignore it but this came from a fourm post directed at 99-04 mustangs. The guy goes on to list some correct information about differnt subjects(cais, tuners, ect)

·
Registered
198 Posts
All I can tell you is that I my I had stock exhuast on my car when I first bought it. I put shorty headers with true dual exhaust with flowmaster mufflers and an h pipe and with a cai and i noticed a big difference in ecceleration

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ No doubt. Especially with miles on the car, your exhaust gets more restrictive, so even replacing it with a new stock system you'd feel a difference. The intake and exhaust is extremely restrictive on these cars, which is why they normally the first mods, let it breathe! But still wait for a whole dual system to install, you'll still be wishing for so much more if you install that muffler.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i can actually vouch for this. i have a flowmaster 40 with only two cats and i think it sounds good but i know it can sound a hell of a lot better with h-pipes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
not thinking theres that much of a gain without a full system, but i put a single flow 44 dump on my car and i felt it a lot, along with an intake and gears, its real peppy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts