Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have the chance to buy a 98 5.4 2v truck motor with 36k miles for $800 bucks.I'm wondering what i would need to do the swap i.e. do i need to lengthen or widen the exhaust?Do i need to change k-members to drop the motor down?Will stock 4.6 exhaust manifolds or 4.6 long tube headers fit on a 5.4 with minimal or no changes?Will i need to make computer changes to compensate for the change in cubic inches and if so can i do it with a handheld tuner or do i need a custom tune?I do know i will have to get intake adapters or a diffrent intake.Would doing the swap be better then buying stage two cams,springs and a tune?Right now my car has 38k miles and is in great shape so would this swap be better for the long haul?

·
Registered
575 Posts
we just did one to my friends car and it is one tight as fit, he used the shorty headers off his 4.6. even with the intake adapters stock hood will not close. in my opinion its not worh the hassle he still gets his ass kicked by 4.6's

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we just did one to my friends car and it is one tight as fit, he used the shorty headers off his 4.6. even with the intake adapters stock hood will not close. in my opinion its not worh the hassle he still gets his ass kicked by 4.6's
I have a cobra r hood.What other mods does he have and did he use the stock 4.6 tune?

·
Registered
575 Posts
yes he used his 4.6 tune. dont get me wrong the car runs good just not sure its worth the hassle. I could pm you his cell and he could answer all your questions. let me know.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I want to do the swap, but to me it not worth it to just put a stock 5.4 back in. Build the block and do it right or just save your time and effort.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
go with a 4v if you are gonna do it

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i had the extra money i would build the bottom end or do a 4v but i don't.My question is is a 2v 5.4 worth 800 and the time to swap?I would do cams if i get the money in time but i'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i would say not worth it

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
look around some more, you can find a 5.4 block alot cheaper. No sense in paying $800 for a motor that you are gunna tear down.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i got a locked up 4v 5.4 motor out of a 2000 navigator at the shop just sitting. dont really wanna go thru the whole hassle of puttin it in. rather build another 4.6 and it fit just like the last one with the least amount of hassle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you swap it in with bolt ons the 5.4 can produce up to 100 ft-lbs of torque more than the 4.6 and usually about 35-40 hp. AFTER YOU GET THE 5.4 CUSTOM TUNED! The 4.6 tune will not support the extra cubes. You can adapt a high flowing 4.6 manifold to the 5.4 and it is about right for a driver. I've been reserching this swap for a while and we are about to build a forged block 5.4 and carb it hopefully by next years racing season it will be done.I've been waiting around for an intake to surface but finally gave up and we are going to use the new victor jr and adapter plates on ours(oh yeah and 2 stages of good ol' throttle in a bottle);)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
offer him 600 bucks, then leave it out for a while so you can tear it down, forge it, and build it, throw a supercharger on there, and then worry about fitting it in your car. it will fit. but only do it if you can build it big before you drop it in... make it worth your while by building it into a bad ass big-bore motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
go check out the thread on mustangboards.com it will show you the pros & cons plan some time as it 130+pages

I am building my 5.4 short block now as the blower killed my 4.6 cost no more to build a 5.4 than a 4.6 so the fifty cubes are for the most part free:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts