Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a hella good deal on a 5.4 from a 1997 e-250. I have read some sites that say its rated at 260hp/350tq, and others that say 255hp/323tq. Does anyone know which is trye? And is it a PI motor or was that introduced in 99 models?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Pretty sure it was non pi. Could be wrong though.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
I only know about the F-150 and Expedition 5.4L 2V's. They are rated at 260hp/350tq at the crank. Im not sure on the E-250 5.4L 2V. Should be the same though. Either way the PI heads from your 4.6 should bolt up if its non PI

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
If your going na put pi heads on the non pi 5.4. But honestly i would invest the money in a 4.6

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 4.6 but decided to sell it and go 5.4. I'm starting with a v6 shell so I don't have any 4.6 heads as of right now. Just a project I've decided to put together.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But it will be na for about 6 months. Then I'm building a twin supercharger system to throw on it.

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
Epic:rockon

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
But it will be na for about 6 months. Then I'm building a twin supercharger system to throw on it.
Sounds like you got alot of plans and a good budget. Imo you can build a 4.6/5.4 setup with a set of twin turbos for cheaper and the more efficent induction will net more power for way less cost than rigging two superchargers

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only know about the F-150 and Expedition 5.4L 2V's. They are rated at 260hp/350tq at the crank. Im not sure on the E-250 5.4L 2V. Should be the same though. Either way the PI heads from your 4.6 should bolt up if its non PI
Is that all of them or just 99 and later?

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It wont be more than $1000-2000 I'm planning on running 2 m90s. I'll do all the piping myself and tuning also. Will more than likely be running twEECer unless I can bring myself to learn the megasquirt system but Idk yet

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
It wont be more than $1000-2000 I'm planning on running 2 m90s. I'll do all the piping myself and tuning also. Will more than likely be running twEECer unless I can bring myself to learn the megasquirt system but Idk yet
For that money build a 5.4 with a lightning accessory drive and manifold and strap a huge twin screw on. Still cheaper and way better than 2 little m90's

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Idk like i said, its just a little project. Not sure what ill do for certain but its just an idea i had. It will for sure be blown though. I'm hoping to make 500rwhp and not really any more than that on the stock internals

·
Registered
808 Posts
Man the 4.6 is tight enuf in the engine compartment. A 5.4 just doesnt make good sense. But alot do it. If you want power just put on a power adder on a 4.6 and be done. A NA 5.4 torque gain really isnt going to gain you much. FI 5.4 different story. Custom LT headers...intake options suck....etc.... And if you plan on 500 hp on stock internals you might want to think about forging and bulletprooffing that sucka!
.02 cents

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure theres a way around the longtube dillema. I'm going to try bending the 4.6 longtubes downward so they will clear the floor pan. But we will see

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
To answer your question, All the E series vans came with a non PI 5.4 and with a factory rating of 255HP and 323 ft-lbs Tq. I know this cause I have both an 4.3 expedition (2000) and a E350 cargo van (1999). If you want to build an efficient 5.4, then you want to find a lightning motor.

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll just get this 5.4 and find some PI heads to throw on it. Then pull it out and forge it when i boost it

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Have fun! almost decided to put 5.4 in my car when the Head Gasket blew in the expedition. Was going to put the 4.6 in that and take the new 5.4 motor for the stang. But I decided to just stick with the 4.6 and do a nice H/C/I build soon

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
500 hp threw a stock bottom end 5.4 is pushing it. Invest in a built bottom end so you dont limit your self.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Why two superchargers, let alone two M90s? I could see if you were trying to compound to improve response characteristics, but that's a lot of extra weight and complexity to run two of the same blowers when you could easily just get a larger PD blower like an M112 (dirt cheap btw) or better yet something like an M122 or TVS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts