Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole ford game. I got my mustang over a year ago. It's a 4.6 all stock as of right now. Just came into some money and wanting to make this thing something to be proud of. What stroker kit would be best for it if I went that route. I have seen alot of these 5.4 swaps which to me sounds like the best idea bigger motor and all. Also to me when I see a 5.4 swap what comes to mind is a f150 motor. Would that motor fit in the mustang?? Just a few question I would like to get answered so I can get this show on the road.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
yea get a 5.4 it will be a lot cheaper and easier than a stroker for your 4.6. grab a cheap running 5.4 out of an expedition or f150 and youll be all set. oh and as far as fitting in a mustang it will fit no problem but use this intake to make sure order_page

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Either one is a lot of work, and not something to be undertaken lightly.

Without other mods, the stroker kits just aren't worth the money, in my opinion. You're talking maybe a gain of 20-30hp after probably $2k in parts and an entire bottom end rebuild.

Same deal with the 5.4s. If you're gonna do a whole build, they're a better way to go, but the only performance 5.4s are the DOHC versions found in the Ford GT and the GT-500s. Either one will NOT be cheap.

My suggestion would be to either look at the Trick Flow heads, or a supercharger. If the car is totally bone stock, I'd also look at some suspension mods.

All in all, it really depends on how you want to use the car.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
is there not 740,228,016 threads on this 5.4 ****? I think there is 203,665 on the 1st page.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
^^^^ bahahahhahaha.. im not even gonna post in this one.. im tired of seeing 5.4 threads.. almost catching up with the gear threads :eek:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'm new to the whole ford game. I got my mustang over a year ago. It's a 4.6 all stock as of right now. Just came into some money and wanting to make this thing something to be proud of. What stroker kit would be best for it if I went that route. I have seen alot of these 5.4 swaps which to me sounds like the best idea bigger motor and all. Also to me when I see a 5.4 swap what comes to mind is a f150 motor. Would that motor fit in the mustang?? Just a few question I would like to get answered so I can get this show on the road.
what are your goals with this car? where do you see it in 5 years? is this a lifelong project or just something to toy around with in the short term?
is there not 740,228,016 threads on this 5.4 ****? I think there is 203,665 on the 1st page.
lol. i was thinking the same exact thing. i feel responsible for having resurected the subject, haha.:sorry

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
no your just retarded as far as 5.4 so dont even comment. i dont mind seeing 5.4 threads because it shows me that it is gaining popularity and that makes me smile. oh and reverend thats not true. he can take a 5.4 out of a pi f150 or expedition and get a fair gain from it without much work. he doesnt NEED to go 4v

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Either one is a lot of work, and not something to be undertaken lightly.

Without other mods, the stroker kits just aren't worth the money, in my opinion. You're talking maybe a gain of 20-30hp after probably $2k in parts and an entire bottom end rebuild.

Same deal with the 5.4s. If you're gonna do a whole build, they're a better way to go, but the only performance 5.4s are the DOHC versions found in the Ford GT and the GT-500s. Either one will NOT be cheap.

My suggestion would be to either look at the Trick Flow heads, or a supercharger. If the car is totally bone stock, I'd also look at some suspension mods.

All in all, it really depends on how you want to use the car.
good advice here. a motor swap is a lot of work whether your puting another 4.6 in or a 5.4 or if your crazy a 6.8. my advice would be similar to the above. first, determine what the final goal is then build around that. im getting into the 5.4 4V swap because i drive like a dick and my motor is toast. the 5.4 4V swap best suits my needs and my goals. you need to determine where you wanna go with the car as a project and then make decisions from that. suspension work is always nice and everyone can benefit from it. depending on what kind of suspension you want(twisties or straight line) there are tons of options out there. The most important thing is to have a heading or some sense of direction before you set sail.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wouldnt go with a 5.4, it make about the hp as a 4.6 but just has more torque. Just get heads ported n polished, some cams, and u'll be fine. There a section in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords on the 5.4 swap compared to a 4.6. I'll look for it and post it up.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The 5.4 has the same problem as the 4.6, a 3.55" bore. It gets its torque from the longer stroke. While there are kits that stroke out the 4.6 to 5.0 there are some problems doing so (some say minor, some say not). The advantage of a 5.4 over a stoker 4.6 is that in the stroker 4.6 the piston skirt actually pulls part way out of the bore. On the 5.4 it doesn't.

There are disadvantages to a longer stroke among which is that they supposedly don't preform as well at high rpms. I have read several thread from people expressing disappointment when the gains they thought they were going to get that didn't materialize because the put in a 5.4 (with its long stroke) with high performance cams that really need to spin around 6500 rpm. Some people have taken the 5.4 and de-stroked it to overcome this problem.

In my opinion, neither mod is worth the dollars spent on it. You will hear this over and over again but the easiest way to make a 281 perform is with a supercharger.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
5.4 4V and bore it over .20 with a sullivan intake and cams. that will give you extra torque and HP. Al papitto is doing 9s on his 4V 5.4 n/a. 9s can be had in many other ways with just about any car, but i thought id throw that out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts