Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will change my plans if it doesnt work.

Im looking into doing a 5.4L swap in the close future.

I did some research and swap some threads stating that long tube headers wont work.

Is this true???

I have MAC LT headers will they fit?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
just put the 5.4 in & sell the l/t's. the 5.4 will make plenty of diffrence with factory manifold's/FRPP shorties. there is potental to have some l/t's custom made (huge $$) also.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
It helped me out;)

there is one set of longtubes available and they are $1200. any others arent even close to fitting.
Yea i believe there a little less then that im thinking around $800 but still.At that price im running stock manifolds:yes

For actual price/Info go to Mustang Forums - Powered by vBulletin and go to the 4.6 tech section there is a sticky in that section at the top about the swap a thread just for it my write up along with lt header info

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
At that point... I would dish out the $800 bucks for it. I mean the intake manifold itself is 800 and worth 20 to the wheels and lt are the same and also give you 20 to the wheels... Lucky for us our parts are still cheaper than GM aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
At that point... I would dish out the $800 bucks for it. I mean the intake manifold itself is 800 and worth 20 to the wheels and lt are the same and also give you 20 to the wheels... Lucky for us our parts are still cheaper than GM aftermarket parts.
I ran Adapter plates on mine for a short time but there only $200 and allow you to run the factory style PI intake.Not much of a Gain by no means but it works.

Yea i weighed my options on that one to.

$800 Intake and 30+ horse and w/e Torque...
OR
$750 for a Lightning Setup and 120+ horse and 100+ Torque

As you can see from my sig what option i went:yes

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn threw away my stock headers.
O well ill get JBA shorties. and a new X-pipe. or just have the shop re-pipe everything from the headers back.

That 5.4 page was very helpful man very very very helpful.

Im looking at getting different heads though. Either Patriot stage 2 or Trick flows.
And for cam I was looking at putting in comp cam though not sure what size.
Also looking at getting the HPS manifold. Id like to close my hood lol. plus havent decided on what hood I want yet. either Cowl hood or Cobra R hood.

The numbers 330hp is that rwhp? if so my god thats the range I want to get above.

The shop I will be going to have the swap done at is Exessive Motorsports. They've done alot of 5.4 swaps.
They had a 99GT with a 5.4 swap blown laid down 863rwhp 882tq

·
Registered
689 Posts
as far as cams, there is a guy in that sticky that uses the bullet stage 3 heads and says they are perfect for the 5.4, i would look into those. thats what im going to use :).

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
That 5.4 page was very helpful man very very very helpful.

Id like to close my hood

The numbers 330hp is that rwhp? if so my god thats the range I want to get above.

Glad it helped

My hood Closes?

Where did you see the numbers 330Hp

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you use the HPS intake manifold from what HPS says you can close your stock hood with that manifold since it sits lower than the plastic manifold that sits higher due to the adapter plates.

HPS intake vs. Adapter plates:
If you use the HPS intake then the top end picks up quite a bit and you can see gains of 15-30hp or more. Each engine is different so there's no guarantees but these are numbers that are not uncommon and won't set you up for disappointment. The current record NA that we've been able to find is 340/340 to the tires on ported PI heads. The HPS intake allows better underhood clearance and helps stretch the power band on the 5.4 back out to a useful point. Adapter plates move the injector up higher and fuel no longer sprays unimpeded at the back of the valve. This results in higher fuel consumption and a requirement for a good bit more fuel in the tune. The plates are simply a band-aid that has been superseded by the HPS intake. Adapter plates average about 250-375 bucks depending on which brand you get. The HPS intake is 695 and ADDS on average 20-30hp. When's the last time you were able to make an honest 30hp from a bolt-on part for 400 bucks? Exactly. It's worth it and it's stupid easy to bolt up.

I meant 340. says thats the current NA record on stock ported heads.

So in reality upgraded heads you could increase more?
I was looking into using stage 3 cams, but I may go custom so its more for my motor, pending on the cost of them

Ill have to look into the bullet stage 3 heads.

Though wouldnt the Trick flow heads work just as well or better? I guess it depends on the price per gain.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
dont get adapter plates. they add too much length to your runner. spend the money, get a real intake.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
get 4V heads. there is no such thing as a 2V head that will outperform a 4V. it simply does not exist. the extra several thousand dollars you are going to spend on either head work or TFS heads could be put towards a 4V set of heads that will **** on the 2V heads you want to spend all this time and money on. dont be stupid. you r already doing all the work for the swap. y would you make such a horrible mistake??? if you want good heads then get GOOD heads(4V heads).

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
quiksilver.....thats just stupid what you said. some people dont want to go 4v and frankly there are so many problems with it that it really isnt even worth it. oh and as for 4v flow better than 2v, i beg to differ. the flow numbers of the trickflow heads are comparable to the b-headed? cobra heads. im not even going to mention the added costs with 4v, the fact theres no intake for 4v, or the EVEN harder difficulty of fitting it under the hood.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
plenty of 4v 5.4's under hoods. Plenty and there are also plenty options for the intake and ****.

Ive got some bare 5.4 4v heads if anyone wants to toss me a few dolla's for them.

1 - 20 of 366 Posts