Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, There seems to be a lot of questions about 5 lug conversion I don't know if is the proper way or place to make this post but,, Here goes.. I started out with a 7.5 rear end with a 4 cylinder auto.
I switched to a 1987 8.8 rear end
I switched the 1987 8.8 over to 5- lug drum brakes
I then switched the 5-lug drum over to 5-lug disc using SN-95 parts
I hooked up the emergency brakes using all SN-95 parts

I switched the front over to SN-95 brakes.

I'm not trying be a know it all but when I am getting ready to do a conversion I like to ask some that has actually done it.--I have so ask

If you are using fancy cobra stuff I don't know much about them.
I used all 1994-1995 V-6 stuff -- it's the same stuff as the 94-95 GT and it is a great up grade for a fox

the axles from a 94-95 will fit the stock older housing but they stick out 3/4" farther on each side. -This can be over come also if needed-

Everything off of the 94-95 housing will fit the older 8.8 housing all the disc brakes and brackets.

when you do the fronts get spindles off of a 94-95 only the later years stick out way to far.
I have been driving this car for years and have done many conversions over the years
4-cylinder to V-8-- went with stock EFI kept the air and cruise control
working
4-cylinder auto to 4-cylinder 5-speed

The car is now a V-8 5-speed

I have 04 seats front and rear and they fit perfect no gaps and the bottom does not stick out to far.

I hope I can help someone and I do like talking about what I have done to my car. So any question?
Lee

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was a 4 cylinder LX years ago

when you do the brake conversion you can buy slotted and drilled zinc plated rotors for about $125
for all 4 that's cheaper than the zone gets for stock stuff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Humm,, well they came off of a 2010 is that a s197?
They were new dealership take offs (cheap)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Love the rear bumper and stainless tailpipes. That's a 93 cobra rear isn't it? And did you have to replace the entire bumper to get the bottom portion? Thanks and good work.

·
902 Posts
im going to be doing a 5 lug conversion soon. Although im buying 31 spline axles, how much did you have into the conversion when all said and done minus axles, differential, and housing. I'm doing a 31 spline spool rear end with good axles, i just want to be able to stop too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are the sn-95 rotors a direct drop-in or do you have to buy a kit to make em work? (obviously not talking about the 5-lug kit)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you need to run spacers or anything to fit the rims on? Im doing essentially the same thing with the same rims. But i know the offset is different on thr 05+ rims than the older stuff.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
When you switched the seats from the newer fox did you use the brackets from the fox or the new car

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Why no mention of the mc, prop valve or booster? these items are pretty much needed to be swapped when converting to rear disc on a fox.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the rear bumper and stainless tailpipes. That's a 93 cobra rear isn't it? And did you have to replace the entire bumper to get the bottom portion? Thanks and good work.
Thanks the stainlees tips are 4" thats why I went with a cobra rear bumper
with the cobra bumper you can only see the last 10" of the pipes you can't tell they are tips looks like all 4"

The bumper was cervines (or how ever you spell it) I was a complete bumper cover I just took the old LX bumper off and this went right on
I thought I was going to get in a mess but it was sooo easy to do about
2 hrs and I was done. Everything fit just like the factory.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
im going to be doing a 5 lug conversion soon. Although im buying 31 spline axles, how much did you have into the conversion when all said and done minus axles, differential, and housing. I'm doing a 31 spline spool rear end with good axles, i just want to be able to stop too.
Ok I cheated on this one,, The V-6 brakes are the same as the GT and they are huge improvement over the stock fox brakes. I called a bunch of ads that said "junk cars removed free" Or best price price for junk cars" And told them I needed parts off a 94-95 Mustang in about 3 days one of them called me and said he had a 95, Those guys sell parts cheap when they are ready to scrap them. He said $75 for everything If I pull all the parts (no rear end housing that's $30 extra) We settled for $125 and he would help. And he had a saws all and a torch. I striped everything brake related and the front spindles with everything on them even all the emergency brake stuff every clip every nut and bolt and a bracket that holds the cables in place in the front. I bought new rotors -drilled and slotted zinc plated $125 (all 4)
and about $75 on pads and hardware so about $325 and this stuff will fit the 7.5 or the 8.8 even the axles.
The brake handle from a 95 will fit right in a 91 -for sure not sure about other years. I took the axles also --be sure to get the front brake rubber hoses and the clips if they look good I lucked out they had be replaced not long before it died. If you do just a touch of grinding the hoses will fit the fox hold downs and the 95 clips fit nice. You will need one adapter for the drivers side NAPA stocks them. For some reason the threads on the hose on one side are smaller--

note: The car might have been junk,, But the guy rolled it over on it's top to make it easyer I was sort of stunned ,, Just never saw that done before-- was cool

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Are the sn-95 rotors a direct drop-in or do you have to buy a kit to make em work? (obviously not talking about the 5-lug kit)
well everything on my 91 is now a SN-95 I striped a 95 to the bare housing and put it all on the fox 8.8 so for me it was easy I can use stock 95 brake parts. And in the front I used 95 spindles and all 95 stuff so for me it just fit like stock.. I wanted to keep the car so I could get parts on the road if anything brakes. I drive this car from OH or WV to Tampa sometimes The car gets about 25,000 mi a year (I'm retired and I like to play).

just a few days ago I clicked over 250,000 mi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you need to run spacers or anything to fit the rims on? Im doing essentially the same thing with the same rims. But i know the offset is different on thr 05+ rims than the older stuff.
Ok good story here,, When I got the new wheels the car was 5-lug drum set up. They are 17x8 not sure what factory off set is-- when I put them on in a hard curve they would rub on the inside-Just barley-- I was going hammer the rear inside fender in. But right after I put the rims on I switched over to the SN-95 axles and brakes- The SN-95 axles are a little longer -not much-
Just enough to make the inside clear and on the outside the wheels can move up in the fenders without needing to roll the fender lips
--just right--

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When you switched the seats from the newer fox did you use the brackets from the fox or the new car
when I put the seats in the passengers side sat to high the drivers side would go really low because it is a 8-way power lumbar and it will adjust straight down. But I put the stock tracks off the fox on the 04 seats I needed to use 2 washers because the tracks --touched-- the seat when adjusting back and forth. But no cutting or anything everything bolted right on
Note: There was a power cord with power already under the seat but the plugs won't match needed to put new ends on the seat wires.

Note: if you hook the seat power up backwards it will work but the controls will be backwards-- not sure about the lumbar I switched the wires soon as I saw what I had done.

Note: I wish I would have made the wires longer it would make it much simpler to remove the seat it's hard to hook them up while installing the seat longer cord will fix that.
I like the cloth seats they don't get so hot like leather on a sunny day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why no mention of the mc, prop valve or booster? these items are pretty much needed to be swapped when converting to rear disc on a fox.
yea well,,,,,I sort of screwed up there big time,, When I striped the 95 mustang I took the power booster and the valve and the master cylinder and all that stuff. But when I did the conversion I tried it out with the stock drum set up --master cylinder, valve, booster and it felt great the rears would even lock up right after the fronts if I dropped the brakes hard.
So I ran it that way,, Now it's a year later and I got problems I picked up a squeal in the rear brakes and thought I need to sand off the pads-(glazed?)
but I guess somewhere there is check valve that holds just a few ounces of pressure on the wheel cylinders in rear--Bad for disc brakes --The rear pads are shot and I chewed up a rotor.. I didn't think I would need the brake stuff off the 95 and I gave it away-- I just bought a 93 cobra booster and a new master cylinder for 95 and an adjustable proportioning valve and some special adapter line but I haven't installed them yet I will let you know how it goes in 2 weeks or so,,,,

note: If you go to the Zone and buy a 93 cobra booster what you will get is a SN-95 booster that the studs that go into firewall have been changed to fit a fox fire wall.

note I will be also installing 2 line locks one for both wheels and one for the left front only. There will only be one switch for the locks on the shifter there will be a 3 way switch to determine witch line lock will work.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Left front line lock = counter clock wise donuts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm enjoying this thread, I'm retired and this is cool.

I'm dieing for the UPS man to show up got a new blower on the way I'm running a Kenne Bell now and it's great but I'm going to try out a Hampton with carbs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea well,,,,,I sort of screwed up there big time,, When I striped the 95 mustang I took the power booster and the valve and the master cylinder and all that stuff. But when I did the conversion I tried it out with the stock drum set up --master cylinder, valve, booster and it felt great the rears would even lock up right after the fronts if I dropped the brakes hard.
So I ran it that way,, Now it's a year later and I got problems I picked up a squeal in the rear brakes and thought I need to sand off the pads-(glazed?)
but I guess somewhere there is check valve that holds just a few ounces of pressure on the wheel cylinders in rear--Bad for disc brakes --The rear pads are shot and I chewed up a rotor.. I didn't think I would need the brake stuff off the 95 and I gave it away-- I just bought a 93 cobra booster and a new master cylinder for 95 and an adjustable proportioning valve and some special adapter line but I haven't installed them yet I will let you know how it goes in 2 weeks or so,,,,

note: If you go to the Zone and buy a 93 cobra booster what you will get is a SN-95 booster that the studs that go into firewall have been changed to fit a fox fire wall.

note I will be also installing 2 line locks one for both wheels and one for the left front only. There will only be one switch for the locks on the shifter there will be a 3 way switch to determine witch line lock will work.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Left front line lock = counter clock wise donuts

1 - 20 of 37 Posts