Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if the 5R44E/5R55E/N/S/W would fit in place of a 4R70W?

I'm starting to have issues with my 4R70W and rather than rebuilding it I was going to see if a beefier 5speed auto would fit anyone know or have any experience with these transmissions?

My googleing has exhausted my mind.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 4r70w is still beefier than both of those.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading up on the 5R55's and the fact that they are in the ford explorer and Lincoln lines makes me think they can handle more power and a rougher use.

I had a Ford Explorer with the 5R55W and it lasted for 3 motors and is currently working very well for my little sister. I think the odometer on the Trany is reading like 350k miles.

I just want to know if it'll fit under the 01 mustang. No one at the dealership knows jack or ****.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
actually I know stock for stock the 4r70w > the 5r55s, hell the sn197 guys were trashing built 5r55s's and swapping to 4r70ws!

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
yes its a common swap. Alot of people with classic stangs swap the AOD/E for it !
Or you could go J4r75w =)

Wouldn't it be.... 4r75w-J or something? I know what you tried to do there with the whole J(jmod)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought Jmod was the devil and Transgo was like allah or something.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so from what I've read here is keep the 4R70W and rebuild it with a Jmod or Transgo and run away from the 5R55's?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
or the one from Transgo? Which would be better as a daily driver/weekend warrior.
i haven't tested the transgo personally yet but i will be getting their kit installed sometime soon and my car is a daily driver. it only firms up the shifts and allows you to hold the gears out to any rpm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts