Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post!
Very informative site.

Been lurking around here getting info for my 2wd, 1983 Ford Ranger with a carberatued 2.3L. and a 4 speed manual. I desperately need a 5th gear, cruising on the freeway at 3600RPM's is ridiculous.

I've seen plenty of swaps of Mustang 2.3L/ Turbo's into Rangers so I know that the blocks crankshaft will be compatible with the right pilot bearing to the 4speed I have now.

My question is:: Can I swap a 5speed from a Mustang with a 2.3L to my carbd 2.3?
If so is there a year range I should be hunting for?

I've been told that the T5 was different for the 2.3L mustang and used in V8 mustangs is well. Could I use a T5 from either? Use a V8 one to get a stronger tranny? My 2.3 will never make over 200hp so I'm not too concerned with strength.

I believe I can based on what I'm seeing in people swapping the motors from mustangs so it seems it should be compatable.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Saul

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
First off, welcome to MM!

To answer your questions, Yes it will work. But you will have to buy a clutch kit, they have different splines. The 4 speeds are a 28 sline and the t5 is a 10 spline. A V8 tranny will work, but the input shaft at the pilot bearing might be a different size ( i dont think it is but its a possibility.) the problem is that your ranger is a hydraulic clutch. the 4 cly mustangs have a cable. i believe you can buy a slave cylinder that will work. The 4 cylinder transmission has better bearings than an older V8, but the gears are weaker. And the block and crank are not just compatible, the are identical. The 4 cyl mustangs had t5s from i think 86 or 87 till 93 then they quit putting 2.3s in the mustang. I hope your project goes well!

p.s. you can also get a 5 speed out of a newer ranger that is not a t5 and will already have a hydraulic setup. the fittings are different but its a start..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok GREAT info, THanks a tons!

Recently I had my block out (putting in pistons/rods/rings/clutch kit) and it DOES have a 10 spline input shaft. I didn't count but it's definitely not 28, interesting.

I'm looking for minimal cost/ simplicity. So sticking to a hydraulic setup might not be a bad idea. I just experienced a HUGE headache when I converted from no-power brakes to an F250 booster/master cylinder.

I don't really need strength as I'm not planning anything big for the 2.3L other than forged internals and 5-6Psi of boost at MOST.

SOOOO
Am I better off getting a rangers 5speed? I'm not firmiliar with them at all. I just figured a T5 is pretty bullet proof and probably a good swap.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The ranger 5 speed will hold up to it, a t5 will too. I didnt realize that the 4 speeds in the trucks were 10 spline, i really dont have and experience with them, but my dads is a 4 wheel drive with a 4 speed and its 23 spline :s. Are you going to boost it and keep carb?????

·
Registered
29 Posts
i curently own an 84 ranger 4cl. it came with a stock 4 speed with 5th overdrive. its a wierd setup as it looks like the tranny is at an angle but it works great. my truck now has over 300k on it and the tranny is still the original. i resently rebuildt the head and got a block out of a 93. my advice to you is just get a tranny out of a 5 speed ranger . i towed a 95 cadillac fleetwood with an 8 battery hydrolic setup 50 miles and the tranny survived just fine too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my next project i think will be to try to convert the engine into fuell injected. i want better millage and i like the truck too much to sell it and get a newer one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning on going to a 4barrel blowthrough carb setup (a buddy's that I'm going to use on mine, he's going fuel injection)

Skippy: Can you be more descriptive about what your's looks/feel shifts like? I'll be junkyard hunting soon.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm planning on going to a 4barrel blowthrough carb setup (a buddy's that I'm going to use on mine, he's going fuel injection)

Skippy: Can you be more descriptive about what your's looks/feel shifts like? I'll be junkyard hunting soon.
If you are building a 2.3l, a 500 cfm 2 barrel carb will be more than enough for anything you throw at it shy of 400 HP. a 450 4 barrel might work, but it seems excessive. too big, considering that a 2 barrel will work great

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are building a 2.3l, a 500 cfm 2 barrel carb will be more than enough for anything you throw at it shy of 400 HP. a 450 4 barrel might work, but it seems excessive. too big, considering that a 2 barrel will work great
Hmmmm, dually noted.
I've seen a 2-barrel setup only once in the turbo 2.3L, but several 4 barrel setups so I figured that'd be proper flow

·
Registered
29 Posts
some of the older mustangs in the late 70s and early 80s used a 2 barrel carb. you might want to look into that. you will also need to use the manifold to acomidate the carb but it will do nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
as far as the tranny. i thinkits the mitsubishi 5 speed transmition. it came stock in some rangers. its a great tranny. its easy to spot cause as soon as you look under the truck the tranny littery looks like its goes into the engine at a 45 degree angle. as far as shifting its a smooth feel and sounds great. the only problem i found with mine was the shifter became loose but thats not a big deal after 300k miles. lol. most of the info you will need you can find in a chiltons manual. the manual that i have for my truck is part no.8159 . its the more detailed manual. it even shows how to rebuild the tranny if needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
o and as far as the carb set up. i still have the single barrel. it on its own gives me more than enogh power. the only problem is that the one barrel becomes loose and needs to be retightened regularly. especialy the 4 screws on the botom of the carb itself.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A 2 barrel intake is a nice way to fix all the trouble that you have with that one barrel. They are not too hard to find, but you will need a whole top end, because the intake ports are different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have owned numerous ford merkurs they have a stand alone turbo ecu/wireing harness they are getting harder to find but are out there if you know what to look for. I have a t-5 in my merkur its from a 91 mustang/4cyl I've thrown over 300hp at it (20psi and nitrous on 245/16 cooper cobra radials) blew 2 rearends 1 clutch(went to centerforce fixed it) I hav'nt done it but I would convert to a mustang style pedal/cable as the factory ranger hyd. syst. is troublesom at best when used hard and aftermarket hyd. systems that work and last are expensive!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts