Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,i'm still new to the whole Mod Motor scene and my 99 GT is an automatic.well i come from owning a butt load of foxbody mustangs and all of them 5-speeds.I miss the fun of banging gears to be honest so I went on a 5speed swap hunt for my 99 and found one at a good deal with almost everything I need to do the swap but I was wanting to know while looking at a USED tranny how i can tell if it's good or not? in the old foxbody T-5's you could pull the plate and check inside or just move the input shaft and tell if it had problems.are these the same way? just wondering while inspecting a used tranny what to look for. thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
just go to your local track or local mustang website.

there are just as many guys (probubly more at your local track) that want to go manual to auto, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to swap you straight accross & then you can just drive the stick car before the swap so you know the trans is good.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I agree with casper.. its almost impossible to inspect the synchros without tearing the trans apart or driving the car first. Although they arent that hard to tar apart.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you have the funds available, I would go through the tranny anyway, before you install it. That way you are starting fresh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just go to your local track or local mustang website.

there are just as many guys (probubly more at your local track) that want to go manual to auto, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to swap you straight accross & then you can just drive the stick car before the swap so you know the trans is good.

Casper,you're probably right but I don't think i've ever heard anyone with these cars wanting to go from 5-speed to auto it's normally the opposite.I found a good deal on a swap a guy bought for a project he was doing and sold the project. This is just something i'm thinking on and I think I may do it.if I knew a tune would really make a HUGE difference along with some 4.10's I may would consider that route instead.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Casper,you're probably right but I don't think i've ever heard anyone with these cars wanting to go from 5-speed to auto it's normally the opposite.I found a good deal on a swap a guy bought for a project he was doing and sold the project. This is just something i'm thinking on and I think I may do it.if I knew a tune would really make a HUGE difference along with some 4.10's I may would consider that route instead.
there are at least 3 guys on here who have went from 5 spds to autos in the last 6 months. For most guys doing drag, they end up swapping to autos.

btw, what are synchros :dunno

:D

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
a tune, converter & 4.10's (along with the required susp. tweaks & d/r's) & you'll love your auto.

those mods will take close to a second off your et.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a tune, converter & 4.10's (along with the required susp. tweaks & d/r's) & you'll love your auto.

those mods will take close to a second off your et.
what kind of tune and converter do you recomend? whats the most effective and CHEAPEST tune i can get? thanks

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
what kind of tune and converter do you recomend? whats the most effective and CHEAPEST tune i can get? thanks
unfortunately cheap isn't part of the equasion for either a converter/tune or a 5 spd swap..........

I'd define cheapest, if it's under 1k, leave the car alone either way.

converter......600-1000 not counting install if you cant do it yourself

tuner & tune......400

5spd swap (if you cant get someone to trade)........1000+ again not counting install.

it adds up quick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unfortunately cheap isn't part of the equasion for either a converter/tune or a 5 spd swap..........

I'd define cheapest, if it's under 1k, leave the car alone either way.

converter......600-1000 not counting install if you cant do it yourself

tuner & tune......400

5spd swap (if you cant get someone to trade)........1000+ again not counting install.

it adds up quick.
installing either tranny is a way easy job so i wouldn't have to worry about that.the tune is all i'm worried about the cost of.i found a nice 5 speed swap with everything i need but the flywheel for $500. the guy sold his project last year it was for and just held onto the tranny incase he needed it and well, he never did.buying it is just a risk on his word as to it working or not and atleast I know my auto works I just want more out of it thats all.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
installing either tranny is a way easy job so i wouldn't have to worry about that.the tune is all i'm worried about the cost of.i found a nice 5 speed swap with everything i need but the flywheel for $500. the guy sold his project last year it was for and just held onto the tranny incase he needed it and well, he never did.buying it is just a risk on his word as to it working or not and atleast I know my auto works I just want more out of it thats all.
this is the best advice I can give you to get started waking the car up, http://www.americanmuscle.com/xcal2-410-gear-oil-kit.html

that tuner/tune & the 4.10's will make the car every bit as fast as it would be with (all things being equal) 5sp swap for way less work & quite a bit less money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts