Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ultimate is goal is 500hp & tq + I'll be happy and content with that.

But the problem is, I want it out of my 01 4v Cobra motor 36,xxx miles.

Is it possible? It will be a street car mostly, track maybe just to see my ET's.

The problem is... If I even think about having forged internals, my goals of 500 will turn into 1000! and it's an addiction I have, so keeping my motor stock at 500hp is an insurance policy so i don't go doing this :baller: with all my cash n blowing my motor.

So what would it take?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
01 cobras weren't forged but the crank.

It is fore sure possible. Run a good fuel and a spot on tune and have fun!

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
500hp should be "fairly" reliable. 500WHP no shot! chances of blowing the motor will be really high. Make sure you get a really good conservative tune and you should be okay. You won't need race gas. I'd also use a FMIC to keep IAT's down. You'll need new injectors & fuel pump. There's no guarantee, but I'd shoot for 450whp, being a 4v you don't need as much boost as the 2v's to make the same power, this means your putting less stress on the internals.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
OP, you're only like 25 minutes away from me. We should meet up one day :lol

Anyways, you have a 99 gt and a 01 cobra?

Hitting 500 crank hp on the cobra can be done with everything said above. When you start talking about 500rwhp, I wouldn't do it as it.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
500RWHP on a stock Cobra motor is more then I think you will be able to get a good tuner to actually tune, ide say they will convince you to stay in the 450ish Range.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
500hp should be "fairly" reliable. 500WHP no shot! chances of blowing the motor will be really high. Make sure you get a really good conservative tune and you should be okay. You won't need race gas. I'd also use a FMIC to keep IAT's down. You'll need new injectors & fuel pump. There's no guarantee, but I'd shoot for 450whp, being a 4v you don't need as much boost as the 2v's to make the same power, this means your putting less stress on the internals.
No shot huh:dunno 500rwhp & rwtq would be my goal. But it seems like more & more people are telling me to stay away. I recently got a quote from Alternative Auto that would get my 4v sent & built with forged internals & stroked to a 5.0, costing $4,700. I thought about it, if I did that, I'd have to put my Kooks full exhaust, MT ET II Drag R's, Full Length SubF, Minor Bolt ons and 125 dry shot on hold :crazy:sorry

OP, you're only like 25 minutes away from me. We should meet up one day :lol

Anyways, you have a 99 gt and a 01 cobra?

Hitting 500 crank hp on the cobra can be done with everything said above. When you start talking about 500rwhp, I wouldn't do it as it.
Yeah, when I get my car up and running again I'm down. & no, I only have a 99GT, I have an 01 4v cobra engine that I'm in the process of swapping into it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My buddies Mach 1 ( bassically same motor as you) made 480rwhp with a KB on 10 psi. any blower with 9-11 psi and a good tune will get you there

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
No shot huh:dunno 500rwhp & rwtq would be my goal. But it seems like more & more people are telling me to stay away. I recently got a quote from Alternative Auto that would get my 4v sent & built with forged internals & stroked to a 5.0, costing $4,700. I thought about it, if I did that, I'd have to put my Kooks full exhaust, MT ET II Drag R's, Full Length SubF, Minor Bolt ons and 125 dry shot on hold :crazy:sorry

Yeah, when I get my car up and running again I'm down. & no, I only have a 99GT, I have an 01 4v cobra engine that I'm in the process of swapping into it.
You can do it but don't be surprised if the motor pops, just know you'll be at more of a risk. The main rule is don't exceed 10 psi on a stock bottom end 4.6. 4700$ lol. All you need is pistons, rods, main/head studs and some other minor things to support your needs. Parts wise it should be 1500$, now labor costs IDK.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Yea, stay below 500rwhp.

The forged crank doesn't mean anything as your rods will go first.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
My buddies Mach 1 ( bassically same motor as you) made 480rwhp with a KB on 10 psi. any blower with 9-11 psi and a good tune will get you there
Doesn't the Mach have forged rods and pistons?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
^ no. Manuals have a forged crank and thats it

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can do it but don't be surprised if the motor pops, just know you'll be at more of a risk. The main rule is don't exceed 10 psi on a stock bottom end 4.6. 4700$ lol. All you need is pistons, rods, main/head studs and some other minor things to support your needs. Parts wise it should be 1500$, now labor costs IDK.
Okay fine, even though I didn't want to go this route, I'm thinkin' about going to put the bolt on's on hold for now, maybe... idk yet.

So for an 01 4v Teksid block. What Modifications to the engine would I need to hold up 500 rwhp & rwtq?

Trying to stay conservative with my money here. I only have 4 grand, took me 4 months to save it.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Save another 900 bucks and pick up a termi motor with a ported eaton. Its 10 minutes from me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Save another 900 bucks and pick up a termi motor with a ported eaton. Its 10 minutes from me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard getting a termi motor S/C to oil pan is only half the work. The other half would be finding everything else to will make the swap work... I've heard people saying another 3 grand on top of the motor just to complete the swap.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Okay fine, even though I didn't want to go this route, I'm thinkin' about going to put the bolt on's on hold for now, maybe... idk yet.

So for an 01 4v Teksid block. What Modifications to the engine would I need to hold up 500 rwhp & rwtq?

Trying to stay conservative with my money here. I only have 4 grand, took me 4 months to save it.
Forged rods, pistons, rings, main bolts, main/rod bearings, arp head studs, side bolts. You already have a cobra crank so you're good with that. Plus all the little things such as gaskets and nit pick bolts. Not sure on what labor would be though, hopefully someone could tell you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Forged rods, pistons, rings, main bolts, main/rod bearings, arp head studs, side bolts. You already have a cobra crank so you're good with that. Plus all the little things such as gaskets and nit pick bolts.
Yeah I have the stock 01 4v Crank. Should hold up 500hp no problem right?

So you think around $1,500 just for that you mentioned?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts