Modded Mustang Forums banner

500hp a realistic goal on a stock long block?

2K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Bullitt5566 
#1 ·
My ultimate is goal is 500hp & tq + I'll be happy and content with that.

But the problem is, I want it out of my 01 4v Cobra motor 36,xxx miles.

Is it possible? It will be a street car mostly, track maybe just to see my ET's.

The problem is... If I even think about having forged internals, my goals of 500 will turn into 1000! and it's an addiction I have, so keeping my motor stock at 500hp is an insurance policy so i don't go doing this :baller: with all my cash n blowing my motor.

So what would it take?

#6 ·
500hp should be "fairly" reliable. 500WHP no shot! chances of blowing the motor will be really high. Make sure you get a really good conservative tune and you should be okay. You won't need race gas. I'd also use a FMIC to keep IAT's down. You'll need new injectors & fuel pump. There's no guarantee, but I'd shoot for 450whp, being a 4v you don't need as much boost as the 2v's to make the same power, this means your putting less stress on the internals.

#9 ·
No shot huh:dunno 500rwhp & rwtq would be my goal. But it seems like more & more people are telling me to stay away. I recently got a quote from Alternative Auto that would get my 4v sent & built with forged internals & stroked to a 5.0, costing $4,700. I thought about it, if I did that, I'd have to put my Kooks full exhaust, MT ET II Drag R's, Full Length SubF, Minor Bolt ons and 125 dry shot on hold :crazy:sorry

OP, you're only like 25 minutes away from me. We should meet up one day :lol

Anyways, you have a 99 gt and a 01 cobra?

Hitting 500 crank hp on the cobra can be done with everything said above. When you start talking about 500rwhp, I wouldn't do it as it.
Yeah, when I get my car up and running again I'm down. & no, I only have a 99GT, I have an 01 4v cobra engine that I'm in the process of swapping into it.

#7 ·
OP, you're only like 25 minutes away from me. We should meet up one day :lol

Anyways, you have a 99 gt and a 01 cobra?

Hitting 500 crank hp on the cobra can be done with everything said above. When you start talking about 500rwhp, I wouldn't do it as it.

#8 ·
500RWHP on a stock Cobra motor is more then I think you will be able to get a good tuner to actually tune, ide say they will convince you to stay in the 450ish Range.

#17 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard getting a termi motor S/C to oil pan is only half the work. The other half would be finding everything else to will make the swap work... I've heard people saying another 3 grand on top of the motor just to complete the swap.

#29 ·
My tuner tuned a 600rwhp stock internal 2v and it lasted 2 years of hard abuse...

Would I do it? meh probably not since I cant afford to just drop a different motor in the next day but if you wanna get freaky and try it go ahead...it could blow at 400rwhp or 500rwhp might as well have run while your going it :D

#30 ·
Okay, So I might be seriously thinkin' about

1. MMR piston/rod kit: $899
2. Clevite Performance Main Bearing set for 4.6 ROMEO IRON Block : $99.99

Now since I have the engine out already. What would I be looking at for labor costs?

#31 ·
I've gotten confused. I thought you said you had a 4v motor. I don't have one but according to what I've read you can push 500 rhwp fairly safely, if you have cams. The motor beathes a whole lot better then our 2vs. Even with the same rods and pistons an additional 50 rwhp isn't unreasonable because the motor is a lot more efficient. At least that is what I was told and 4v dyno sheets seem to bear it out. But there is no gaurantee that it won't blow up on the dyno. Things happen.

#32 ·
I have a 4v waiting to be dropped in my car that's on an engine stand, I pulled my 2v and it's pending a sale right now. I haven't put the 4v in yet because I'm waiting on my LT headers. Then custom dyno tune, bolt ons and 125.

But I think I'm having a change of heart, everyone is telling me that I'd basically blow my engine right when I WOT it, so I'm maybe thinkin' of putting all my plans on hold and buying forged internals for it since the engines already out.

Man... :banghead:computer::bash::mad: Idk what too do!

#36 ·
What ever floats your boat man. I'd have that termi motor if I wasn't in college right now but you have to prioritize. The mustang can't come first in everything :lol

#37 ·
Hey now... Im in college too bud :drink , I graduate this spring from Baker :)

I'm trying to build my car, while working two jobs and going to school.

#38 · (Edited)
I'm doing mechanical engineering. Still got a good chunk of credits left.

When I get out of school and get a job, I will ****ing spend a good chunk of my income in my car.

#41 ·
Yup. So looks like that's what I'm going to do.

1. MMR piston/rod kit: $899
2. Clevite Performance Main Bearing set for 4.6 ROMEO IRON Block : $99.99

Since the engine is already out. I wouldn't expect labor to be too much to install. I just don't know if I'd be able to just, take it too a shop and say, "hey see this 4v... install these forged internals"

... and what? they'll just be like alright yeah no problem 500 bucks... ya know.

#42 ·
I doubt they would say that. The entire front end of a 4v is different from a 2v. You have to align two cams per side versus one before. Forged internals are not the addition cost. Everything else is.

#43 ·
Well that blows, I didn't know you had to remove the cams? So the typical average labor on new cams is about $1,000 and if thats just the cams? :facepalm:

I can't imagine what the labor would cost installing forged internals? Dude, thats like. $1,200 for the internals I'm buying and like what $2,000 for the labor? :screwy:

Yeah, **** that. Back to square one again :computer::banghead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.