Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my goal is to build a 400 hp all motor street car

i am looking into going with the 5.slow because

when completely built it looks really good and can deliver a good amount of power on motor

my question is would it cost more money than its worth to put a 5.slow in my 01 new edge

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
The only real good part about switching to a 5.0 would be the N/A aftermarket capability. Otherwise, it's a shoe-in for FI. So, you have the right idea. I've contemplated this as well.

Your best bet would be to pull a junkyard 302, build it up over time, find a 94-95 harness, and have at it. It would only cost as much as you're willing to put in. Could be a sweet little nitrous engine...

·
2,189 Posts
Why not go 5.4?
Personally, I like pushrod engines way more than the modular OHC designs. They were easy to work on, made good power, and were always reliable. Plus, you can find 5.0 engines a dime a dozen- but finding one in a New Edge is always a surprise.

·
2,189 Posts
really the only thing the 4.6 has goin for it is it can be built lighter than either of these engines i believe
This is true- in fact, an aluminum block 4.6 from Ford Racing only weighs 85 lbs. Good luck finding a 5.0 block that weighs anywhere near that (cited from page 108 in the Ford Racing 2009 catalog)

All in all, look to spend anywhere from $1500-3000 for the swap. Motor, harness, and mounts can run you anywhere between $800-1000 and then you still have to mod it and drop it in. It's a journey, but I think it would be worth it (which is why I've been searching around for a cheap 5.0 block)

Craigslist would be the best place to check it out- people have these things as paper weights nowadays. Plus, junkyards are probably a good haven as well.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is true- in fact, an aluminum block 4.6 from Ford Racing only weighs 85 lbs. Good luck finding a 5.0 block that weighs anywhere near that (cited from page 108 in the Ford Racing 2009 catalog)

All in all, look to spend anywhere from $1500-3000 for the swap. Motor, harness, and mounts can run you anywhere between $800-1000 and then you still have to mod it and drop it in. It's a journey, but I think it would be worth it (which is why I've been searching around for a cheap 5.0 block)

Craigslist would be the best place to check it out- people have these things as paper weights nowadays. Plus, junkyards are probably a good haven as well.
i may just build a teksid block small blower motor

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
107 mph trap speed is not bad for a 4.6!

What kinda mods have you done to your 4.6?
bbk l/ts
upr x pipe
steeda u/d
mgw short throw maganflow
4.10s
nitto 315 d/r's

this time was achieved with no front sway bar
battery relocated to my trunk

rear seats taken out along with jack spare rear iron chunk taken off of diff

but i agree not a bad time the gears are killin me thou i almost wrap out 4 cuz of the 4.10s

·
2,189 Posts
no disrespect meant but im not wanting to build a 400 horse all motor 4.6 2v i know its nearly impossible on pump gas
Best of luck to ya, you're going to need a ridiculous cam (high lift, probably higher rpm), higher compression (38cc TFS will do this, but you'll still probably need some more from a new set of pistons) and possibly a better intake manifold to flow the kind of air you'll need.

Remember, this engine is only 281 cubic inches, and that means your 400hp will be way the hell at the top of the RPM range and you probably won't get past 360 rwtq.

The build will be all sorts of big amounts of money that might make you reconsider your options. After all is said and done, you will have put in probably a little more than it would take to throw a centri on it and call it a day with over 400 easily. It will probably be the single most frustrating build ever, because after all is said and done, you will:

a) come close to your goal, but not there, or
b) have the most unpleasant driving car in the world- it will drink gas, be loud, and you won't be able to cruise at any rpm below 1500 without the car bucking wildly.

These are just the things that go with having a small, naturally aspirated engine that has been pushed as far as it can go without FI. It's your choice, yeah, go ahead, do it- but as I said before, I haven't seen it done. Best of luck to you, good sir, and Godspeed.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best of luck to ya, you're going to need a ridiculous cam (high lift, probably higher rpm), higher compression (38cc TFS will do this, but you'll still probably need some more from a new set of pistons) and possibly a better intake manifold to flow the kind of air you'll need.

Remember, this engine is only 281 cubic inches, and that means your 400hp will be way the hell at the top of the RPM range and you probably won't get past 360 rwtq.

The build will be all sorts of big amounts of money that might make you reconsider your options. After all is said and done, you will have put in probably a little more than it would take to throw a centri on it and call it a day with over 400 easily. It will probably be the single most frustrating build ever, because after all is said and done, you will:

a) come close to your goal, but not there, or
b) have the most unpleasant driving car in the world- it will drink gas, be loud, and you won't be able to cruise at any rpm below 1500 without the car bucking wildly.

These are just the things that go with having a small, naturally aspirated engine that has been pushed as far as it can go without FI. It's your choice, yeah, go ahead, do it- but as I said before, I haven't seen it done. Best of luck to you, good sir, and Godspeed.
um bro i said i was NOT wanting to build a 400 horse 2v 4.6

·
2,189 Posts
um bro i said i was NOT wanting to build a 400 horse 2v 4.6
Wow. Dude, my apologies. I feel like an ass. It's still too early for me. Man, I feel bad. Reps to ya bro.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
bbk l/ts
upr x pipe
steeda u/d
mgw short throw maganflow
4.10s
nitto 315 d/r's

this time was achieved with no front sway bar
battery relocated to my trunk

rear seats taken out along with jack spare rear iron chunk taken off of diff

but i agree not a bad time the gears are killin me thou i almost wrap out 4 cuz of the 4.10s
The gears arent killing you, the tires are gilling you. Get a real set of slicks under there and you wont have to worry about that. With my 4.10s, im just about to hit my shift light going over the line

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
going pushrod imo it piontless. Why does it have to be a N/A "Beat". Guys witl 4.6 2v's will still beat you with just a blower and the reason 5.0 Foxbody's runso good is b/c they are wieght. Your not winning anything with this swap. a PD blower with give you that n/a power feel.

The 5.4 2v and 4.6 2v if I remeber correctly have hardly any weight diffence..10lbs I want to say but don't quote me cause I don't remeber.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
going pushrod imo it piontless. Why does it have to be a N/A "Beat". Guys witl 4.6 2v's will still beat you with just a blower and the reason 5.0 Foxbody's runso good is b/c they are wieght. Your not winning anything with this swap. a PD blower with give you that n/a power feel.

The 5.4 2v and 4.6 2v if I remeber correctly have hardly any weight diffence..10lbs I want to say but don't quote me cause I don't remeber.
The right setup with a 351 can give you 800hp, Thats the only reason im considering it because I will soon be buying an s197 then this car will be strickly drag, well occasional ride around town lol

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
yup, has to be a cleveland based 351, mains are smaller, can produce higher rpms without burning out the bearings

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.