Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Ive been having a problem since I bought my car last year. If I shift regularly into 5th the shifter vibrates and makes a vibrating type noise. If I take it out of fourth and wait about 2-5 seconds before shifting it will go in fine. Also, I can shift regularly as long as I watch where I put it in 5th. It seems as if it grinds because I throw it too far right? It happens particularly in higher RPM's the worst. Would this problem be in the shifter, or in the transmission syncro or fork? I have a Steeda Tri Ax shifter, but I did not install it so I don't know if it could possibly be adjusted wrong. Transmission fluid was checked by shop and was clean and they didn't mention any shavings or such. Would you get a junkyard tranny (90$) and just replace it? Junkyards around here have mustangs all over the place that are wrecked, so I would know the transmission was moving it before it wrecked. Keep in mind I'm a teen with only about $200 every two weeks.
Thanks,

·
Registered
547 Posts
this is a problem for our era of mustangs mine has done the same thing ever since I bought it. As far as I know the syncros dont mesh well when you shift into fifth. You can double clutch or wait and it will be ok just like you have done. I dont think it is worth buying a new tranny tho.

Thats just my two cents tho haha I am sure someone will chime here soon

·
Registered
264 Posts
Steeda is known to sometimes lock you out of 5th because the throw is so short, so you can take the trim bezel off and loosen the adjustment screws, other than that its probably the syncro, only thing you can do to make it a little more smooth is double clutch, or get a new cable/quadrant

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Id say its snycro related. My 2nd gear is the same way sometimes and a friend of mine has a car with a blown 1st gear syncro and does that exact thing

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
You can't "bang" the the 5th gear. when your about 5k in 4th gear your pretty much at WOT. 5th gear is overdrive and should be put in softly. Its not a whore.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
most of the time if youve run out of 4th anyways and you seriously need to slam 5th youre either in a ridiculous close race or your trying to save extreme hairs of seconds off your ET

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RPMs during shift

I never have RPMs over around 3k when going into 5th. My fourth gear has a lot of wind up room before I get anywhere near 5k. Should I try removing the stops? Will it make my shifts longer?
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a Steeda Tri-Ax as well. Recently mine started grinding every once in a while going into 3rd because I adjusted the bump stops incorrectly. Once I tighten them down, I know the grinding will go away. So I'd try adjusting the bump stops.

·
Registered
390 Posts
lucas ATF treatment helped my 3rd and 5th. its like 8 bucks for a pint i think. that stuff is thick like honey in the cold. might want to make it warm before you put it in.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^can it be used in a manual?

·
Registered
547 Posts
^^How much do you put in?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts