Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have some sort of little problem i think idk. But heres what it is. Ok when i shift i can go threw threw the 4st four gears no problem but when i hit 5 i have to wait until it catches so i can push in or i go to shift into it and i hear the gears grinding. Whats the problem? and how do i fix it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Synchros?

·
Banned
808 Posts
mine has the same problem,...everybody up here told me it was a common problem but id still like to have it fixed

·
Registered
189 Posts
mine has the same problem,...everybody up here told me it was a common problem but id still like to have it fixed
Ok i have some sort of little problem i think idk. But heres what it is. Ok when i shift i can go threw threw the 4st four gears no problem but when i hit 5 i have to wait until it catches so i can push in or i go to shift into it and i hear the gears grinding. Whats the problem? and how do i fix it?
Typically it's the snychros that are worn and/or broken even. Mine does it too. I figured out that if I double clutch it won't grind at all. (Clutch it 4th to neutral and then clutch it again into 5th). Kind of like the way you drive an 18 wheeler-if you know how to shift those! Ford has a bulletin for popping out of or sticking in reverse which may also go hand-in-hand with the fifth gear issue as those gears share the synchro assembly that is the problem. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It should be an easy fix as you only need to take the tail housing off of the trans and swap out the bad syncho part and maybe even the shift fork. Mine is going to get done when the trans comes out to fix the broken bearing retainer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mine does the say thing, it wont grind every time but it still does it quiet often

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
The 5th gear and reverse gear do not share a syncro.

Reverse on the t-5 is unsycronized.

As for the grinding going into gear it is most likely the syncro. The grinding sound you hear isn't actually the gear it's the teeth on the syncro sleeve grinding against the blocking ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts