Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I woke up today and had about an hour or so to do something I have been waiting to do since I corrected the hood on my winter DD (my truck).

I have a few waxes I wanted to test so I have an idea as to what I can expect for customers vehicles when it comes to performance. Almost all of the waxes are at a different price point. Also this will allow me to figure out which waxes I want to use in the spring when my car and my dads car come back out.

Waxes up for Review (sorted by price):

Wax - Price (Source of price) Manufacturer Durability Claim

CG's XXX - 18.45 (CG's Site) 2-3 Months
Pete's 53 Black Pearl - 39.99 (CG/Autogeek)
Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax - 39.99 (Autogeek) 4 Months
Dodo Juice Banana Armour - 69.99 (Autogeek)
Dodo Juice Orange Crush - 69.99 (Autogeek)
Ammo Creme Reflective Paste - 70 (Ammonyc)

I mention it in the video but I'll put it here as well.

Prep Work:
Car rinsed with warm water to remove any snow/ice on the paint
There was no wax on the hood currently and had been clayed about a month ago
Washed the hood with UWW+ then dried the hood
Did an Eraser wipedown on the entire hood
Taped off the hood then went to work

All waxes were applied per manufacturers instructions

Disclaimer
It was around 30 degrees out when I did this and the paint was cold. These waxes may apply/remove differently when it's not so cold out. I am just documenting my opinions and my experiences with these waxes. Take this with a grain of salt.

Ease of Application:
1. Liquid Souveran (Not really fair since it's liquid)
2.Ammo
3.Pete's 53
4.XXX
5.DJ OC
6.DJ BA (I expected this due to it being the hardest wax I was testing)

Beading:
1.DJ BA
2.Pete's 53
3.XXX
4.DJ OC
5.Ammo
6.Liquid Souveran

Sheeting:
1.XXX
2.DJ OC
3.Pete's 53
4.DJ BA
5.Liquid Souveran
6.Ammo

Slickness:
1.XXX/DJ BA
2.DJ OC
4.Pete's 53/Ammo
6.Liquid Souveran

Favorite Smells:
1.Ammo (Cinnamon)
2.DJ BA (Banana but wasn't very strong out of small pot)
3.Pete's 53 (Coconut)
4.XXX (Fruity? Very hard to explain)
5.DJ OC (Orange-ish very little scent compared to others)
6.Liquid Souveran (Awful/Chemical Smell)

Durability:
TBD

I will be watching these waxes over the next several weeks through a Michigan winter to see how they all hold up. There is no sealant under them so it's just about the waxes now. The truck will be driven every day, inside overnight and outside all day. I will be updating this once a week.

Update:

After 1 week of being out in the crappy cold/snowy weather we have been having I wanted to see if anything had changed. From here on out I will test every week but only post results when I see things changing.

I washed the hood with UWW+ then dried it before any tests were done. Befores on the left side and through a week on the right side.

Liquid Souveran

Ammo

DJ BA

Pete's 53

XXX

DJ OC

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well done :)

Didn't watch the video yet, but notice any difference in looks among all of them?

I like the ranking, any surprises or disappointments?

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man

Well done :)

Didn't watch the video yet, but notice any difference in looks among all of them?

I like the ranking, any surprises or disappointments?
It's hard to tell because of how small the patches were. I personally still think (this may be in my head) but Ammo gives it something pete's/xxx/liquid didn't. OC looked very good imo too. But I wouldn't go on that because of the sizes of the panels. This is why I didn't put up a list as to how I thought they looked. If I were going to it'd be Ammo, DJ OC, Pete's, XXX/DJ BA, Liquid Souveran.

XXX was surprising to me as it was to Modded. That stuff beads and sheets ridiculously well especially for 20~ bucks. I had better sheeting on the Mach with Ammo and similar beading/sheeting on my wifes Element with Liquid souveran. DJ BA beading blew my mind. It was hard to tell in the video but it literally looked like the beads were in organized lines.

Gonna watch the vid when I get home but nice! How's the scent with banana armour?
It smells very good but it isn't very strong (at least outta the small pot). It was my favorite smell but it wasn't very strong. I'll update the list with my favorite smells lol.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
I told :D I really have been enjoying the dodo waxes
Sweet writeup, video isn't working for me, thanks for putting in the time to do this, you should post this onto autogeek as well (give it a second shot lol)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Where can I get ammo. I want for when I get back to the states imma correct my car. Wanna try it pm me the link please. Reps will given

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Makes me happy to purchase the XXX. Got my buddy to split the membership cost at detailers club :D

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Where can I get ammo. I want for when I get back to the states imma correct my car. Wanna try it pm me the link please. Reps will given

Just google it - on my phone, you'll find the ammonyc site and you can order through it

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I told :D I really have been enjoying the dodo waxes
Sweet writeup, video isn't working for me, thanks for putting in the time to do this, you should post this onto autogeek as well (give it a second shot lol)
I actually ended up doing the rest of the hood in DJ BA for the heck of it since it was bare and I wanted to use it more just to get some more experience with it.

Hmm, I hope the video is working for others. I can watch it when i'm not signed into youtube.

Will AG care that Ammo is in the review or not? If not I'll throw it up over there.

PM'd ya the link.

Makes me happy to purchase the XXX. Got my buddy to split the membership cost at detailers club :D
Nice man. XXX seems great right off the bat. Hopefully the durability is at least a 4-6 weeks.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Yeah, I hope so. If not I'll wax it again :D

Repped for a great video :p

EDIT: I have to spread it around first :(

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks man

It's hard to tell because of how small the patches were. I personally still think (this may be in my head) but Ammo gives it something pete's/xxx/liquid didn't. OC looked very good imo too. But I wouldn't go on that because of the sizes of the panels. This is why I didn't put up a list as to how I thought they looked. If I were going to it'd be Ammo, DJ OC, Pete's, XXX/DJ BA, Liquid Souveran.

XXX was surprising to me as it was to Modded. That stuff beads and sheets ridiculously well especially for 20~ bucks. I had better sheeting on the Mach with Ammo and similar beading/sheeting on my wifes Element with Liquid souveran. DJ BA beading blew my mind. It was hard to tell in the video but it literally looked like the beads were in organized lines.

No Problem :)

Yeah I know what you mean about the little spots, just figured I would ask :)

I am quite impressed with XXX too, for the price it really performs well. I probably won't buy it because my base go-to lsp is bfwd. I was quite impressed with BA on my car too, it beaded really nice like that for about 3 weeks before I noticed a drop in beading. And that was outside 24/7 during that time. Quite impressive for a nuba with no sealant properties.

EDIT: 400th post!! :bubba:

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Problem :)

Yeah I know what you mean about the little spots, just figured I would ask :)

I am quite impressed with XXX too, for the price it really performs well. I probably won't buy it because my base go-to lsp is bfwd. I was quite impressed with BA on my car too, it beaded really nice like that for about 3 weeks before I noticed a drop in beading. And that was outside 24/7 during that time. Quite impressive for a nuba with no sealant properties.

EDIT: 400th post!! :bubba:
I am thinking BA will last longer than OC but we shall see. A lot of the waxes didn't have durability claims so i'm looking forward to seeing.

How long does bfwdps last with nothing on top of it on a normal dd?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am thinking BA will last longer than OC but we shall see. A lot of the waxes didn't have durability claims so i'm looking forward to seeing.

How long does bfwdps last with nothing on top of it on a normal dd?
Yeah supposedly the dodo hard waxes last longer and the soft are supposed to look better, hence why the have a hard and soft wax for each color group (so you can layer them).

The longest I've ever left my car alone for is about 5 months, and bfwd was still beading okay when I stripped it. I always like a fresh layer of protection before winter gets bad and during nice weather an lsp might stay on a month or so. So I've never really let an lsp on long enough to fail, but the general consensus is that it should last 6 months with semi-regular washes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Liking that Banana Armor!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts