Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bonus check and its time for tires but Im having trouble with a final decision on what to get. My car is almost driven daily and even though the MT et street radials have been good to me and hook well I kinda have my eye set on the 275-45-16 Toyo Proxes tq's. I know it will be a down grade but they are wider then my 255's and I think they will fill out my wheel wells a little nicer not to mention will prolly be better in the rain. I am obviously still wanting a tire that can hook at the track because it's there every few weeks but just shooting for a more practical tire for the street. I see ls1 guys hooking well with these Toyo's and cutting 1.6 and some 1.5 60's but they are also running 305+ wide tires.
Basically I just want to know what you guys have ran and what kind of track performance you have gotten from your drag radials and how well they wear. Right now the main tires I am trying to decide between are the BFG DR's and the toyo's, I have done alot to research and there isn't really alot of options for a 16X8" wheel, it seems most are 255-50's and thats about it lol. My main options are the new goodyear DR's, mt streets, BFG DR's, toyo's, and the mt et street radial II's that look awesome but they are 295-50 and I think I would have clearance issues possibly plus a another 1.7" of diameter will F with my gear ratio a little. I dont know how they do that on a 8" rim but it is a recommended wheel width for it on their website. :wtf and I thought 275's were pushing it lol< starting to wonder if its a typo. Im sure most will tell me to shut up and buy another set of MT's and I don't blame them but they have scared me in the rain a few times and I drive pretty slow when its wet. Any tire that hooks well is welcome guys so someone please sell me on something before my woman finds something better to buy haha.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
A second set of rims, then tire of choice.
X2

I went through with that decision too.. I decided to go out and buy some draglites and throw M/T slicks on it. Drag radials don't work too well with stick shift cars anyway, and if you use the radials a lot (a lot of street miles/burnouts/launchs) then you will MAYBE see 2,000 miles. Most likely a lot less.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
X3 I have a set of 15 inch weld draglites with Hoosier slicks in the basement waiting for track season. Search around on Craigslist I got mine at a swap meet with almost new slicks for $350

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
We have 16 in rims bro, there's is no tire choice haha. I agree with everyone else, get a set of 15 welds or something. Luckily for me when I bought my car it came with a set of drag lites big and littles

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm not really sure if ill have the cash to pull all that off, what's the widest tire you can fit under the rear without any modification though my Q shocks are removed. I'm still interested in hearing some et's though ; )

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I believe on a fox 275 may be about the biggest you can fit without massaging anything

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
We have 16 in rims bro, there's is no tire choice haha. I agree with everyone else, get a set of 15 welds or something. Luckily for me when I bought my car it came with a set of drag lites big and littles
Hoosier makes a drag radial and a slick for 16s. I think the slicks are either 26x9 or 28x9

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hoosier makes a drag radial and a slick for 16s. I think the slicks are either 26x9 or 28x9

Sent from my galaxy s II
True but alot of company's make drag radials and from my past experience hoosiers are by far the softest and wouldn't last much more than 5 minutes on the street. Even If I bought 15's I wouldn't get those because its over an hour drive to the track, If I can buy a cheap set of 15's I will prolly still end up with some more mt streets.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Hoosiers will not survive but a handful of trips to the track if it's an hour away, they are a way softer compund than a mickey t, and much worse in the rain if you get caught, but way better.I went a 1.60 in my ls1 with a 70 shot and exhaust on a 275/60/15 with a 3.27 gear so they get it done.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
True but alot of company's make drag radials and from my past experience hoosiers are by far the softest and wouldn't last much more than 5 minutes on the street. Even If I bought 15's I wouldn't get those because its over an hour drive to the track, If I can buy a cheap set of 15's I will prolly still end up with some more mt streets.
You have a hatchback? Drive there on street tires... Pull in... Jack it up, put slicks on and roll up to tech.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys just got my T-lock fixed and my toyo proxes on last night. The 275's arn't quite as wide as I imagined but are pretty aggressive looking. it was raining all last night and I must say they handle way better than the MT et's did in standing water, I have much more confidence in the rain now and went sliding around quite a few corners to try to get my bearings on how much is to much and am pleased. Today we got some freak weather and it was 58 degrees & sunny here in IL so I got to test out the dry traction also. Huge difference in traction on normal streets I can take off from well paved stoplights where it spins a little but still takes off real nice no over spin. For my final test I went by our local speed shop that has new concrete and is very sticky and mashed to to the floor and it was a dead hook without heating the tires any, the first time my front end has rose on a launch so Im pretty happy. I cant wait for the track to open so I can see what kind of 60' times I can lay down. I am not putting down the MT et's though, the only reason why mine would never hook was because they were super old and dry, I think all in all the toyo's are a perfect street strip tire as long as your not shooting for mid 11's or faster even though ls1 guys are doing it I dont have near the weight or in the rear and am only using a 26" tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts