Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What luck have the rest of you been having with a stock T45 and High RPM launches at the track? I just ran my personal best this weekend and Im wondering how much longer this trans is going to hold.

Engine - 4.6 2v, built bottom end stock bore and stroke, stock pi heads with blower cams close to 10:1 compression and pump 93
Vortech V3 Si - 14psi still on a full 6 rib setup
Trans is a stock t45 - ebay clutch

Leaving the line @ roughly 4500rpm with M/T Et drag slicks

60fter - 1.49
1/8th - 6.96
mph - 99mph

The below particular run was a 7.0 but I didnt get a vid of the 6.96 pass before that. This run however netted another 1.49 60ft..... Can post time slips.

Reactions: bodyshot

·
Registered
982 Posts
What luck have the rest of you been having with a stock T45 and High RPM launches at the track? I just ran my personal best this weekend and Im wondering how much longer this trans is going to hold.

Engine - 4.6 2v, built bottom end stock bore and stroke, stock pi heads with blower cams close to 10:1 compression and pump 93
Vortech V3 Si - 14psi still on a full 6 rib setup
Trans is a stock t45 - ebay clutch

Leaving the line @ roughly 4500rpm with M/T Et drag slicks

60fter - 1.49
1/8th - 6.96
mph - 99mph

The below particular run was a 7.0 but I didnt get a vid of the 6.96 pass before that. This run however netted another 1.49 60ft..... Can post time slips.
Awesome run man!!!!!

How many miles are on your T45? Mine stopped shifting well at around 85K and really just needed Blocker rings. With I would have rebuilt that instead of buying the TKO 600. That transmission shifted incredibly smooth. You will probably be rebuilding the syncros if you keep banging the gears like that and I would assume the input shaft will give because at some point that 60 should snap it. You can find a used TR3650 cheap and they are easy / cheap rebuilds.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Excellent pass. I've only got a a couple of dozen passes on my car and really didn't get the launch right. The first several passes were on street tires then I bought 555Rs. At first I wasn't heating them up enough to get them sticky. When I did I was launching too low and the car was bogging down. Going to the strip on test and tune days was fun at first. I would get four or five passes but a few weeks later when it got busy there were very long lines, motor heat sinking crawling up through them, and spending all night for two maybe three passes. It stopped being fun.

You have an excellent 60 ft. Your garage says you are running 555Rs. I recorded a lot of date back when the 99-04 section was busy. Back then everyone was saying you had to run ET Streets or Hoosier QTPs to pull that type of 60 ft.

Oh, back then my T-45 had around 120,000 miles on it. It currently has 210,000 and still shifts smooth as silk but I learned a very long time ago not to power shift a daily driver. (Blow it up on Friday, buy a salvage motor on Saturday, change the motor on Sunday, drive to work on Monday.)

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome run man!!!!!

How many miles are on your T45? Mine stopped shifting well at around 85K and really just needed Blocker rings. With I would have rebuilt that instead of buying the TKO 600. That transmission shifted incredibly smooth. You will probably be rebuilding the syncros if you keep banging the gears like that and I would assume the input shaft will give because at some point that 60 should snap it. You can find a used TR3650 cheap and they are easy / cheap rebuilds.
This t-45 has around 150ks on it lol. I honestly am amazed at how well it has done. This transmission has probably seen around 80+ passes at the track and is still going strong. My only secret is I use the cheapest, least aggressive clutches I can so they act as the weak spot. And so far its working for me lol. Future plans is a 1000hp 3650 build. I just wish they still offered the higher hp t45 kits so I can keep this one and my mgw shifter.

Excellent pass. I've only got a a couple of dozen passes on my car and really didn't get the launch right. The first several passes were on street tires then I bought 555Rs. At first I wasn't heating them up enough to get them sticky. When I did I was launching too low and the car was bogging down. Going to the strip on test and tune days was fun at first. I would get four or five passes but a few weeks later when it got busy there were very long lines, motor heat sinking crawling up through them, and spending all night for two maybe three passes. It stopped being fun.

You have an excellent 60 ft. Your garage says you are running 555Rs. I recorded a lot of date back when the 99-04 section was busy. Back then everyone was saying you had to run ET Streets or Hoosier QTPs to pull that type of 60 ft.

Oh, back then my T-45 had around 120,000 miles on it. It currently has 210,000 and still shifts smooth as silk but I learned a very long time ago not to power shift a daily driver. (Blow it up on Friday, buy a salvage motor on Saturday, change the motor on Sunday, drive to work on Monday.)
This run was with M/T ET Slicks with the stiff sidewall. I've been in the 1.5 60's with the mt street pro radials too though. The 555rs I never did any better than a high 1.7 but that was back when the motor was stock on low boost.

Reactions: Eagle2000GT

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Have you tried dumping the clutch higher? I'd say dump the clutch at 6,000.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
what gears do you have? I cant speak for t-45's. but when my car was

stock bottom end
comp 262 came
procharger p1sc @9psi
4.10 gears
315 Mickey ET streets

best I could muster was a 1.9 60 ft. with an ET of 12.6 but it would trap between 112-114. the gears were hurting me bad on my 60 ft.

From everything I have learned from my 3650 is that I wish it was as smooth as a t-45..

I too am looking at the 1000 hp 3650 kit. and debating that vs. a t-56 magnum.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right now it's got a 3.73 gear. It's running great for what it is. The 6.96 pass in 1/4mi times is coming out to a high 10 sec pass. I'm ready to throw a 15% overdrive pulley at it and some e85 And dip my way further into the lower 6's

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I launched at 6000 on a 150 shot with the T-45 for years. Best 60' was a couple of 1.43's on 28x11.50 Hoosier QTP's. I ran a King Cobra clutch that saved the input shaft I think:smile2:

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Input shaft is still holding up.... plenty more 1.48 60fters :)

Here is another run with a buddy of mines build firbird. Its got a 418 texas speed ls3 with heads and cam, ford 9", t6060 yada yada. Its running mid 6's and I missed my 2 to 3rd shift pretty bad. I think the ole 2v holds its own pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts