Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a late 64 1/2 Mustang hardtop (July 13, 1964) with its original D code 289 4BBL V8 and C4 automatic transmission with five bolt bellhousing. I've put an Edelbrock Performer intake and Thunder AVS 650 CFM carburetor, dual exhaust, and a Pertronix ignition, with FRPP cap & rotor & 9mm wires. Otherwise its's bone stock. Because I tend to drive it like it's stolen, it doesn't get very good gas mileage. While that's not a major concern, I'd like to make it both more powerful and more efficient in the future.
I have toyed with the idea of a modern small block combination with a five speed manual, such as a T&L 347 stroker, but after driving a friend's 94 with a 5.0 H.O (with a trickflow intake and TW heads), I'm questioning whether I really need 400 plus horses in my car. But he says he gets 22 mpg on the highway, which is great compared to mine!
Even if I did put a modern small block in my car, I'd keep the original engine, as it does have the early timing cover with the oil filler. Rather than having an extra motor sitting in the garage, I'd like to explore the possibility of improving the power and economy of my original engine. I'm sure that this is the more expensive option, considering that 5.0 shortblocks are cheap and plentiful.
So, I'm considering the following: a complete rebuild, including hot-tanking the original block, a set of Hi-Po rods and pistons, and possibly a new crankshaft. Plus a new high-volume oil pump, a Crane roller cam, lifters, & rods, and new heads that breath better than the originals, along with headers. I haven't put headers on yet only because I think it would be a waste with the current heads.
Are there bellhousings to allow me to mount a five speed manual to my five bolt engine? Or, should I have the C4 beefed up? I've always wanted a V8 manual combination, so I'd settle for a four speed, if I had to!
I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions...
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
i would get a 5.0 ho to start.if you are not looking for super hp,just install a good engine and t-5 tranny and keep gittin up.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Brian, whats up dude!

Keep the D code in the garage with the C4...

And build a 306 with some nice heads on it, and a decent 5 speed, and your car will pick up ALOT...

Right now its a mid 18 second car, just like my 64, but with a 306 cheapo build i bet you could get it in the 15s up here very easy... Next thing you got to worry about is the 8 inch rear end... might want to step that up to a 9 inch...

Remember this is your Daily Driver.... You do not want to go too radical like my POS.... I can get you incontact for a GREAT transmission man if you end up doing the beefed up C4... I have a shift kit in my 64, and it will bark the tires in almost any situation....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Matt,
Cool Bumping into you here, man! I know you're busy at 'Mines, but we need to hang out some time! I'm thinking T-5 with an 8.8 disc rear end with 3.55 gears if I put an 5.0 in. The hot-rodded C4 is a cool idea, too. I'd probably spend less on the C4 than the five bolt to T-5 conversion if I stayed with the 289. I've already spent a lot of money on the car this year, so I'm still bouncing ideas around at this time. PM me for my email address when you get a chance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.