Modded Mustang Forums banner

761 - 780 of 885 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
Best I can ascertain (there wasn't much left) the #2 or #3 plug wire got into the header and started the fire. Luckily it was on the passenger side away from the fuel lines. It burned up plug wires 1-4, the heater valve, and the alternator harness. Also burned the paint pretty bad on the underside of the hood. Luckily I keep an extinguisher in the car and caught it before it got too bad. The car was warming up in the garage and I heard it backfiring so I went to check on it. Pretty obvious why it was backfiring... plug wires on fire.

Fixing the paint on the bottom of the hood will be the hardest thing. I can replace all the burned up stuff in a weekend.

I've already ordered some of these because I've always had a problem keeping the plug wire boots off of these god awful swap headers:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
That sucks to see that happen, i'm glad you caught it before it got too bad.

I would still be careful with those sleeves, I recently had a similar experience with my starter wire which was in one of those sleeves, it became super brittle after being exposed to the heat for so long and the fabric started fusing to the wire.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
As with anything, this little chore is spiraling quick.

The fire melted servo on the heater valve. Old Air says they can't get that same servo anymore, so they had to send me a new valve with a different servo on it. The wiring for the new servo was different than the old servo so I had to pull the wires all the way back to the climate control panel in the dash. That required ripping the dash apart and disconnecting half of the ducting for the AC and Defroster.....

Since I had the dash apart I decided to replace the inverter on my SpeedHut gauges so the backlights would work again, and to install the new turn signal switch and wiring harness. That led to chasing down some loose connections under the dash that caused the brake lights to randomly not work, and also to spend an hour adjusting the turn signal cancellation cams.

Next on the list will be the alternator harness when it finally arrives.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #771
I would love to do an EFI conversion of some sort, and that is the cheapest I have seen yet. But still $1200-$1500 (after fuel system upgrades) is a lot of money to spend on a car that gets driven a few days a month. Especially when I'm wanting to re-paint my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #774
A few bloody knuckles later and I've improved the situation a bit. The water was spewing because the lower radiator hose was not on the water pump tight. I must have knocked it pretty good with the alternator when i reinstalled the unit because it was barely hanging on.

it also looks like I fried the regulator when everything shorted out during the fire. The alternator is making 15 amps if I disconnect the regulator, so I'll replace that next week.

I'm running hot now, but I hope I just need to burp the radiator now that I've refilled it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
Side Project ;)

I've always wanted a car with white interior and embarglo paint. When I picked up the XK with Ivory seats..... well it was only a matter of time.

The paint on my car is the one thing about that has always disappointed me a little (I bought the car sight unseen). There were some pretty big scratches that went through the clear on the hood, nose, and drivers quarters.

However I wasn't so sure I wanted a copper car enough that I was willing to drop the coin on a color change paint job without having lived with it first.

I've been following the plastidip craze for about 4 years now, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to give a whirl. I don't have to get the paint perfect, because if I really do like the color I'm going to spring for a respray, and if I don't like it then I'll just peel it off.

I started with 3 gallons of matte red for a base, then went with 1.5 gallons of high gloss clear with 75 grams of burnt copper alloy pearl.

Unfortunately there was some pretty poor lighting in my garage, and I couldn't tell how much coverage I was getting with the pearl. The sides and roof look great, but there is some serious striping on the hood. Luckily that is easily fixed with a couple more coats of pearl. Maybe I'll have time next week to throw a few more coats on. But it doesn't really matter because if I still like after a few months I'll have it done proper with a real BC/CC this summer.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
the copper looks nice although I must say I have always been partial to grey. and that is a dang nice looking car.

I have a question for you AJ. I am always working on something, and lately I have been tinkering with this old YJ jeep anyway I am looking at putting some white face gauges in it and since I plan to upgrade tires and differential down the road I am looking at putting in a programmable tach. the company I bought the MPFI conversion from recommends a gps speedometer instead of tying into the vehicle speed sensor. since you are the only one I know of that has used one of these I wanted to get your opinion of how they are to live with. have you had any issues with yours? any dead spot problems where a signal could not be detected and you lost function etc? those cobalt gauges you have are amazing. Hesco has some for the jeep that are pretty reasonably priced and white faced so easier for my old eyes to see. thanks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
My gauges are speeshut, not cobalt. You should check them out, 100% customizable on color, font, graphics, etc.

I've had no problem with the speedometer. It takes about two minutes to pickup the GPS if it has been turned off or indoors for more than an hour, but otherwise I've never had it lose signal. Added benefits are it keeps track of your top speed, best 0-60, best 1/4, and highest G rating.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
ok. thanks. I believe I will give them a try. I just ordered a speedometer and a tachometer. they are not as interesting as a lot of them on there because I like the plain white gauge look. but I like the customizeable option. what do you think.

Attachments

761 - 780 of 885 Posts