Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I start. Possesion 7k, 1966 Beat up from the feet up Mustang, C4 Transmission shot, Straight Six with Engine Knock, Needs new Paint and Minor Body work, Interior---what interior, Electrical (I have a brand new battery) how it connects to anything... ha!!!

I have no clues except its cheaper to keep her the same. My friend is a Mechanic and he "said" he can help me with the work. Now what parts I should use to best modify her and where I can steal them(buy cheap) are the biggest questions.

So where do I start?

I want it all... disc brakes, power steering, a/c, navigation, leather, airbags, did he say airbags... yea I'm wishing with a broke man's dream... Bottom line, what can I do within my budget that will get me closer to the promise land?
What should I avoid? And most importantly Where do I start?

·
Registered
26 Posts
looks like you got ur hands full. when i jumped into my project it was a lot of ideas and no knowledge on how to do it. best thing is to start reading and soak up all the knowledge you can. how much do you know about body work, workin on engines, and what kind of tools do you have? Also what is your budget? i would start with the body work because after that its nothing but putting it back together. give us some more info on ur skill set. and lots of pics so we know what your workin with! goodluck to you and dont be afraid to ask questions

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you do all the work yourself, you can keep it on a budget.
Our 66 was in a container in a field since 1978 and we have restomoded it and it is almost done.
2 1/2 years, every weekend, on the father son project and spent about 8k. Complete rebuild of the 289, T5, new suspension, TT2 wheels with 225x50x16 tires, CSRP Discs, new interior and we painted it ourselves (turned out nice!) and lots more "stuff".
We documented it on a website from the First day until now. Lots of info and lessons learned if your interested:

Christophers 66 Mustang Restoration and Modification

·
April 2010 ROTM
518 Posts
Can you post some pictures of your car and your budget. I hate to say, but if it needs a lot of metal work, you might be better off starting with a better car. Think of it this way, you can spend 20,000 easily just getting a rusty shell to the painted stage. Or, you can buy a running car with nice interior for around 15,000 and restomod it as your budget allows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics...

My budget is only... 7,000.00

Engine skillz = 0
Body skillz = 0
Paint skillz = 0
friends with skillz = 100 but 50\50 they really have the time because they're full time mechanics and have their own projects.

Someone mentioned taking her to the local comunity college but I don't know how that works exactly...

This leaves me to yellow book for parts and service in regards to the major work (engine/transmission plus paint/body) and I will try my hand at the rest...

and any advice or direction that could save me a penny and produce the best results would be appreciated...

Note: Engine is knocking... Trans is shot... Needs new wiring... you can see the rest... if this works

Pictures by hsticcs - Photobucket

·
Registered
38 Posts
#1) E-bay and Craig's list!!! I found a running 351 on craigs list for the cost of just the block, and it was 1/2 mile form my house. #2) Swap meets. I went to a swap meet and got 2 new tires mounted on custom rims for $25. #3) (and most important) Like the first reply said, educate yourself. And to ad to it take you time and do it right. Ask these us on here the questions. That's what we are here for. These folks on here have gotten me straitened out more than once and helped save me a ton in mistakes by doing so. So keep on it and we cant wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Browsed craigslist... no help... need to know where exactly i should sink my 7 grand in order to get the most bang for my buck... any suggestions would be highly appreciated...

·
April 2010 ROTM
518 Posts
New paint without any metal replacement-5 grand
Engine rebuild-1,000 for just new pistons and rings, and boring the block. Zero upgrades.
Front disc brakes-1,000.

Budget is gone.

If you have 7,000 and can get 7,000 out of the car, then do it and buy one that is already fixed or a lot better for 14,000. That might not be what you want to hear, but trust me, you will come out ahead in the long run. Let someone else with big bucks, tons of free time, and more skills tackle your car. Also, keep in mind that coupes are not worth very much. I thought you had a fastback. You could end up 5 years down the road with a non running car that still needs paint and interior and have a boat load invested in it. Please dont take the above in the wrong way, i am just trying to help. I have screwed myself with big projects before and i hate to see others end up in the same boat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you really need to be honest with yourself from the start on this project. If you do all the work yourself you can get a nice car for 7K in parts. BUT that requires you to do the work yourself. You will not have a show car or crazy fast high performance Mustang. You can spend 7K just on the engine without blinking. You can also spend 7K on really nice paint job too.
Be real with the amount of time you have to commit and your ambition to learn new skills. If both of these are low, I would suggest you rethink the project. Everyone here has seen 1/2 finished projects on Craigslist where the owners ran out of time or money and were cutting thier loss and selling at a fraction of what they put in.
It may sound like I am saying not to do it. I am just saying to go into the project with your homework done, ambition measured and eyes wide open.
We did all of the work on our 66 Coupe and have put in 2 1/2 years of work and about $8k in PARTS. Fortunately we had a rust free car to start with. Here is our website if you want to see what was involved from the first day until Chris drove it to High School for the first time: Christophers 66 Mustang Restoration and Modification

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Can you post some pictures of your car and your budget. I hate to say, but if it needs a lot of metal work, you might be better off starting with a better car. Think of it this way, you can spend 20,000 easily just getting a rusty shell to the painted stage. Or, you can buy a running car with nice interior for around 15,000 and restomod it as your budget allows.
I would say you would only spend $20k if you paid someone else to do it. My dad and I restored his 66 Mustang which was RUSTED. We replaced practically every piece of metal on the car: trunk, floor, all rocker panels, firewall, torque boxes, etc. After factoring in the cost of bondo, sand paper, and metal it was prolly around $7k. Parts aren't real expensive. Time is the expensive part. We spent 3 years on that car (just our free time) and still haven't touched the engine or suspension. It runs and drives great but it's nothing compared to the technology of a modern car.

OP, I would HIGHLY doubt you're going to be able to restore that car to the extent you want w/ $7k. Project cars are not cheap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You need to do more research and understand what you are getting yourself into. Then make a list of all the parts you WANT and all the parts you NEED. 7k is long gone once you get the engine built the way you want it. Good luck in your adventure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, I would sell the car as a project for someone else (if you're not in love with it). That would probably net you $500-$1500 depending on the buyer and condition of your car. Then I would watch the trades, ebay and craigslist for a bargain on the same vehicle, only closer to finished! Take your mechanic friend with you to check it out!!

Due to the economy, restored plain jane stangs are going for as low as 30% of the cost!! That means you may be able to pickup a 65 coupe that had 15K worth work into it for $5k, or less!!

Really, unless you have some emotional attachment to this car, or it's a boss, shelby etc., it just aint worth it! You'll get pennies on the dollar when you go to sell it...never mind the time you spent on it.

I know! I've been there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I 1000% agree with Ron. It just aint worth it. I did the same thing. I bought a turn key car, but the oil pump quit, then it snowballed! My car was a no option, straight 6, pony car coupe when new. Not worth much at all. I replaced almost all of the sheet metal on the car. Sure it will be nice when done, but hindsight is 20/20. I would never go through it again unless it were a Shelby or Boss. Well, good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ford : Mustang : eBay Motors (item 290397283690 end time Feb-02-10 11:08:55 PST)

Buy this one and sell yours and take the money you make in yours and put in the other. That is unless you are just attached to yours. A good project is fun but you can get in over you head QUICK in time and money and frustration.... Believe me I have and sounds like alot of people here have. No doubt your car will be nice when fixed up but you will spend all your money and probably wont be as nice as the one pictured. If you are going to fix yours up irreguardless which is fine just do projects a little at a time so you can still drive it. for example spend a week and work on the brakes wether you keep the drums or put disk brakes on it. front disc are plenty for one of these cars. then put a 289 or 302 or just get you a trans and run your inline six for a while. Then put a rear end in it if it needs one. Then worry about your paint and body and lastly install an interior. I would do it in that order. brakes, driveline,paint, interior. just my thoughts it will keep you involved and less discoraged if you work these alittle at a time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honestly if your going to want to jump up to a 8 cyl then you need to buy one first off as the front end change will eat your budget unless you can do it yourself. Otherwise just start taking your car apart and learn from it. Transmission work I did not want to learn so I just dropped $900 for a rebuild. I did all the interior and paint work with no knowledge but I did have people with some equipment that helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stick with the 6 & go turbo, Turbonetics makes a great set up that can make you 8 cyl power without changing out your front end...not to mention a unique powerplant in a classic.

My engine builder makes 650Hp at the block in his straight 6 260ci........he's in 12k though.....you could easily find 400 with a 4k setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just buy 7 grand worth of beer and let your friends loose every weekend until its done.

Just don't let 'em start drinking until after 11:30 (Beer 30)

Good luck and take your time!

·
Registered
400 Posts
me and my dad have not even spun one wrench on our 70 mach. We have already spent 2g in just a rotisserie and soda blaster and other random tools. His idea is to retire and restore old cars. Budgets never will work something always comes up. Also junkyards our your best friend got me tons of motor parts for my clevland. Just wish i could find a 428scj in a yard. if ur lookin for a motor i got a 289 out of a early 60 somen ford i forget what tho. My dad would be willing to sell or trade for stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.