Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got this motor from a 1976 Mercruiser, it's a 1976 302 with 351 Windsor heads and a 2 barrel Holley.

Here's the marine exhaust, water pump and some kinda solenoid

The motor with the marine components removed, ready to unbolt and pull out

Hoisting it out with a tree here

Droppin it in the truck. My buddies take great pics btw hahaha

Got it on a stand with the valve covers removed

Intake removed

Intake

Heads removed

Oil pan removed

Down to the block, pistons removed but crank and cam are still in

It was a loooong sunday!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good looking motor.
Thanks man! I'm taking it to a machine shop on wednesday to hone the cylinders, get 5 broken head bolts out of the block and clean the heads, intake and block. I was quoted about $230 and should have it back by saturday. I still need to order that bell housing from yall and get a radiator and exhaust after the headers. Im about to order hooker headers, billet pulleys, a master engine rebuild kit, a new fuel pump and an aluminum water pump. I believe my buddy has accelerator linkage for me.

How can I identify the flywheel that came with it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finished my daily duties a little early today and took the block, heads and intake to a machine shop. There's a possibility I'll have to bore it out a little bit due to the rust in #6, I believe it was. Also I have to get a valve job because they're not set up for unleaded fuel. I should know what bore I'm going to end up with by the weekend.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The flywheel is a 157 tooth so I had it resurfaced for $20. Today I ordered a 65 fuel pump so I could use the existing pump to carb line. Also ordered some hooker 1 5/8 headers, a 3 row aluminum radiator, aluminum water pump, 1in drop coils for the front, a 1in sway bar, a curved monte carlo bar, an organic clutch kit, ARP flywheel bolts and new z bar bushings for $890. I picked up some magnaflow mufflers, chrome split exhaust tips, accelerator linkage, an edelbrock air cleaner, 67 v8 motor mounts, a chrome water pump pulley and a chrome crankshaft pulley all for $170 from my local 64-73 mustang parts guy (Mike Jenniges)

·
Registered
23 Posts
i didn't see it on here, but how much were your headers if you don't mind me asking? Thats one option I might be interested in.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didn't see it on here, but how much were your headers if you don't mind me asking? Thats one option I might be interested in.
The Hooker comp headers were $166 with $25 shipping. They're painted black but no ceramic coating. I'll prolly wrap them

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a nice parts list you are getting. Let the fun begin!
I'm havin the time of my life! Haha. This is my first complete overhaul and i've always wanted a project like this; building a muscle car by myself :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my kinda thread, subscribed
Thanks, I'm gonna need alot of input.

Yesterday I pulled the I6 out and hauled it off to a swap meet guy, I should get about $900 for that stuff. Today I woke up and hopped in that engine bay with 4 cans of degreaser, a big wire brush and lots of rags. Also I threw big pieces of cardboard underneath the engine bay.
I didn't take pics before, but imagine a half inch of blackness over everything.

I used a power washer on it after all the de-greasing, along with the bottom of the hood. It looks a little better :/

I kinda like that ride height lol.

On tuesday I'm going to sand, prime and paint the engine bay. I'll have pics posted promptly :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bought the same exact car and will be doing the same exact swap (although I'm toying with the idea of a 427 stroker crate motor). In support of going to the 302, are you modifying the suspension, tranny, and rear end? If so, what are you going with?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought the same exact car and will be doing the same exact swap (although I'm toying with the idea of a 427 stroker crate motor). In support of going to the 302, are you modifying the suspension, tranny, and rear end? If so, what are you going with?
Suspension: I'm putting aftermarket V8 coils that'll drop it an inch and a 1in sway bar. I also ordered a monte carlo bar to go across the towers.

Rear end: I'm gonna leave the dinky I6 rear end for now but I plan on getting an 8in or 9in ford rear end.

Transmission: V8 bell housing, clutch kit, 157 tooth fly wheel and SBF z bar clutch linkage. I'm going to use the 3spd for now but I plan on replacing it with a 4spd toploader. Also I plan on getting a beefier drive shaft and converting to 5 lug.

Then it'll be drivable to my standards :D

but for now I'm just going to make it work and take it easy.

I finshed the engine bay today, I'll post pics later

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I forgot to take pics after I used 4 cans of primer but you here's the engine bay still taped up after 6 hours of sanding and scrubbing with wire brushes. I used 4 cans of High Temp black satin paint, they were $8.49/can. The primer was $5.99/can.

I took off the stabilizer arms, hood latch bracket and grille to paint them seperately.

Aaand there's me taking the tape off. There seems to be a pattern in the pics on this thread

·
Registered
249 Posts
Awesome project I had a 68 for years as my dd when I was poor, never did anything to it except keep it running and it did that great for 150k until I got ass ended by a Blazer. You guys down there must have psychic bat navigation to get through the day with your eyes closed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome project I had a 68 for years as my dd when I was poor, never did anything to it except keep it running and it did that great for 150k until I got ass ended by a Blazer. You guys down there must have psychic bat navigation to get through the day with your eyes closed.
Lol, its always bright outside in Texas. Sunglasses are required outdoors

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dude! She's already looking much better! I'm about in the same spot as you. Although the engine should be finished this week I'll be on to doing the body work myself. I honestly have no idea where to start :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude! She's already looking much better! I'm about in the same spot as you. Although the engine should be finished this week I'll be on to doing the body work myself. I honestly have no idea where to start :confused:
This is about the most "body work" i'll be doing. I wish the machine shop would start breakin a sweat with my motor. I gotta wait for them to inspect the cylinders to see if i'm goin stock bore or .020 over. Then i can order my rebuild kit and get that ball rolling. Though i have everything i need, or it's coming in the mail right now; except a few hoses and fluids

The water pump, headers and z bar bushings came in yesterday and i ordered the bell housing earlier this week.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
looking good man :) I wish I could find my project 67 fastback :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looking good man :) I wish I could find my project 67 fastback :(
Right on, ideally I would've picked a 67-69 Fastback but I found this coupe for $3500

Today the bellhousing from MustangOne and clutch kit arrived. Also I switched the accelerator linkage. I'm pretty much just waiting on Austin Machine Shop to finish the valve job and bore. I have a feeling It'll be another 2 weeks before they finish :( ...bastards

I still need to order a new distributor, coil and possibly a different 2v carb (check ball was unaccessable during the rebuild and one gasket had to be *modified*)

Any reasonably priced suggestions for those?

1 - 20 of 195 Posts