Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, As you could probably tell I'm new to the Forums.

Anyways, Ive been saving up some money and am looking to build a 351W for a learning experience and as an upgrade to my 289. If anyone could help me out on a relatively cheaper build the tips and knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks guys and I look forward to the replies!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Welcome to the board

I don't know what your budget it is, but it is not too much more to step up to a stroker kit when you consider the cost of all the machine work to resurface you crank, balance rods, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
My budget is probably going to be around 2k. I know that the building is going to take some time so im not opposed to saving extra cash for better parts over time while I build it. Right now my mustang is a daily driver for me to school and back and what not so I cant really pull my engine and work on it and be without a car so I would need to build one separately before pulling my 289.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Well the first hurdle is to actually get a 351w. Try to get the complete motor as that helps alot. If its EFI then you can usually sell off the EFI intake and maybe break even on your investment so far.

An idea that I have used in the past is to get together with some of the truck guys at your school. Pool your resources and you can prolly get a rough shape F250/350 with a 351w for you and the one ton axles and trans for them. Its just an idea.

Generally its cheaper to buy a vehicle and part it out then to buy just a motor, but be sure to check junkyards. You plan to rebuild or maybe stroke it anyway so as long as its not cracked or full of water you shouldn't have any major issues.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I see 5.8L Roller motors out of F150 and Econoline vans with 150 - 200K miles on them for $200/$300 (you pull/we pull) on craigslist quite frequently down here. You can easily sell the EFI top end for enough to pick up a used 4BBL intake.

·