Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
6.0= egr clogging, turbo oil drain tube clogging up, turbo variable vanes sticking, head gasket problems, 05 and up models are better but they are not as sure a thing as a 7.3. It will give you more power but its like you are always riding around with your fingers crossed.

7.3= just change the oil and if you have a tuner on it it can cause the turbo to surge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
smaller turbine housing and fin design makes excessive pressure and it just overdrives it the the point the bearings just quit. Usually happens on a hot/race tune while towing a lot of weight. Everythin on a 6.0 can be remedied by a gearhead but that adds up quick in the dollar count.

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
Get a duramax. Cummins is a good motor but everything else sucks.

Ford, everything is good except for the motor.

If you get a 6.0 it needs an EGR delete, head studs and you need to change the fuel filter at every oil change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
what years are you looking at? All cummins carry a premium. 99-03 7.3 can't be beat for their prices they are going for and commonrail 03+ cummins are crazy powerful and the truck is not all that bad but you are gonna pay for it.

·
MM.s Used Car Whore
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah 99-03 7.3 are nice.... but there not that fast.
03-06 6.0 are crazy fast.... but like i said... the headstuds suck... EGR clogss.
03-05 cummins are nice.. but the trans isnt the best.... and well thats about it costly

·
Lost in the 60's
2,247 Posts
We have a 2001 7.3 287k miles. You have to love the staying power.

We bought a 2008 6.4 Power stroke im not happy about the fuel mileage. It get 10mpg empty or loaded. But I do like the interior looks alot.
We also have a new 2008 6.7 cummins ... OMFG :D The power is Crazy !!!
Oh and can we say Fuel mileage 19 mpg hwy 15 mpg pulling a car 12 mpg pulling 24k lbs.
I use the Cummins when I need to work. Oh and my cummins has the Mercedes 6 speed tranny. Love that tranny, jake brake and tow haul mode.

Here is my Dodge at work

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Here's my brand new Cummins 6-speed :D

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
7.3 if you get a ford,
5.9 cummins if you get a cummins
and a duramax will be fine too.

I bleed ford blue, and I would not mind having a chevy duramax....And i have a powerjoke already.

·
Lost in the 60's
2,247 Posts
7.3 if you get a ford,
5.9 cummins if you get a cummins
and a duramax will be fine too.

I bleed ford blue, and I would not mind having a chevy duramax....And i have a powerjoke already.
5.9 is a nice motor, little loud. But
I Do have to say the Cummins 6.7 Is a Freakin Beast. with fuel mileage.

Oh, did I say you can see the starter and turbo and all injectors on the motor also. I Love that.

You might want to get you a duramax before Government Motor stops making them.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Yea... i figure once i graduate from college (going to be a freshman this year) i will go out and buy my self a new truck....

although this Powerjoke has impressed me on towing, and fuel mileage and everything else. 215K miles and running strong.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I love my Cummin's. :D

It's just something about that built in Jake Brake :lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts