Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
This isn't going into a mustang, a maverick actually but close enough lol.

Anyways I have a 72 Mav with a 302, got some headers on it and thats about it. Seems pretty stock. Unknown mileage and compression of the 302 since it was originally a 200 I6 car.

I'm pondering either going with the performer or rpm performer top end kit from edelbrock. They show flywheel hp of around 330 for the performer and 360 for the rpm kit on a 9.5 : 1 302.

I'm assuming that 9.5 : 1 is the stock compression on a 70's 302 block correct?

I'm just looking for some pointers. I know that if I go with the rpm package I'll need a stall for my C4. But I don't know what stall I could get away with?

Also I'm kind of unsure about what carb I would need too. I was thinking a 570 street avenger but I'd just be guessing.

Both kits come with heads, gaskets, cam, intake manifold, timing chain and gear, fasteners etc etc etc.

Basically just wondering what else I would need to consider when doing this...

Worth the money? Kits range form 1500 to 2000.

Would I need a new ign system? People have mentioned kits that replace the stock guys of the dizzy and replacing the coil. Is that sufficient ? Any good companies out there for this? Would a new dizzy, coil, and 6al be the better route here? I'm kind of wanting to get rid of all the vacuum lines I can so a msd dizzy would be better in that way.

Here is a summary of what I can tell you...

Application : Fun street car, non DD, just a fun car to take to work once a week and play around in.

Basically stock 302 ( headers ), stock C4, Stock rear end, drum brakes etc etc

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I vote going the ignition system route. Will help the engine operate more efficiently and be more reliable. Plus it should leave a little money left over for a few other modifications when compared to the cost of the top end kit.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm doing some sort of ign rebuild or replacement either way. And I'm doing some sort of top end work as well just trying to figure out what the best bang for the buck is.

The msd dizzy is around 250, the 6al 300, and the coil around 50 so thats not too horrible.
But I'm really stuck on the performer vs rpm performer top end kits. thinking the performer and save some cash and keep the stock c4 with no stall until I get disc brakes a new rear end and some spray

·
Registered
890 Posts
If it were me I'd go with the ignition and then the other things you mentioned like brakes and rear end. However between performer and rpm, I'd say get the performer. Its going to provide plenty of power and be plenty of fun in that little maverick, and you'll save money compared to going with the rpm.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah.
I think I'm going to piece it together instead of a package.
I need to rebuild my shortblock so I'll go ahead and do that first and bump the compression up a little with some flat tops.
Then I'll probably get the rpm air gap, well cause it looks awesome and its a good all around intake. Throw in some roller rockers, new dizzy, msd box, blaster coil, 9" rear, built c4, etc etc etc etc

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, I'm glad to here you made a decision. Sounds like a good way to go, I think you'll be happy with your results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts