Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im working on my rearend build and i was thinking about getting the detroit tru trac differental but i found this: 8.8" 31-Spline Cobra Differential.

Is this differential going to be pretty damn strong? I plan on launching on slicks at about 4-5K. Will this be able to hold up to that? I figure if it was factory on the 03-04 cobras then it should be able to do just fine. Anybody have input on these? This is just so much more affordable then the detroit tru trac and its almost half the price.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Yeah, its the stock stuff in the termis, but is 31 spline. 31 spline is strong stuff there buddy. Oh, and go to Ricks car care to have it all installed

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, its the stock stuff in the termis, but is 31 spline. 31 spline is strong stuff there buddy. Oh, and go to Ricks car care to have it all installed
Thats what i thought, thanks dude :). Ive already talked to rick to do my install, ive dealt with him before. Hes a nice guy.
I just installed one in my black stang,they say there good for 500 hp..
Awsome, i dont plan on going with that much hp. Im just going to have all boltons and some nitrous :cool:.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
It will work, Any diff from any 8.8 ford will work. I'm running a 31 spline out of an explorer.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will work, Any diff from any 8.8 ford will work. I'm running a 31 spline out of an explorer.
yeah i knew it would work, i was just concerned as to if it would hold up to the higher rpm launches at the track. It has the upgraded carbon fiber clutches.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
yeah i knew it would work, i was just concerned as to if it would hold up to the higher rpm launches at the track. It has the upgraded carbon fiber clutches.
The clutches will eventually wear out but they're easy to replace. I rebuilt my own.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clutches will eventually wear out but they're easy to replace. I rebuilt my own.
Will they still last a decent amount of time before i have to replace them. i try to go to the track at least 2-3 times a month

What are the signs/symptoms of the clutches going out?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Will they still last a decent amount of time before i have to replace them. i try to go to the track at least 2-3 times a month

What are the signs/symptoms of the clutches going out?
One wheel burnouts is a good sign. Mine have lasted at least 1 season so far lol.

I rebuit mine with extra clutches, i used the regular ones and put one extra clutch per side. I payed 55 for the diff and about 50 for the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
One wheel burnouts is a good sign. Mine have lasted at least 1 season so far lol.
Awsome i think ill probably just go with this cobra diff then. I wont be pushing as much hp as you and i dont plan on getting the nitrous for a little while so ill mostly be using this n/a for right now. i dont think ill have to rebuild it for quite a while since it wont have the regular clutches in it. Thanks man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts