Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting an Explorer rear in my in my 65 coupe my question is spring plates. Do they make a plate with the a shock mount with holes the proper size for the 3.25 axle tube u-bolt?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Double check the offset of your wheels.

A popular mod to the 8.8 is to remove the long axle and replace it with a short axle (have to cut down the tube to match). That centers the pumpkin and narrows the rear end just a little allowing you to tuck wheels that have less than optimum backspacing.

Good luck with the install.

Easy mod and worth doing the math to before you bolt it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks found a set of spring plates at Mustang Depot from TCP. I do have a wheel rite tool for getting the wheels correct. Resto the car is sweet brother! Thanks for the info boys.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks Faz, she's coming along finally.

Just so you know, if you do decide to go with two short axles, I am pretty sure it's 57" from surface to surface. I had one I bought that was already cut down and was going to install, but then then the 9" came along and I used that instead.

The explorer is a great swap. Just make sure to get the right year for the freebies. 3.73 gears, disc brakes, locker, 31 spline. And pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, My local pick and pull has a bunch of these and I got a friend who works there pulling one for me and hiding it inside. Figure $200 including gas for a read diff and a extra short shaft is fair. Best of all I wont get greasy or sweaty pulling it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Cost that much just for gears OR rear disc brakes. Nice score.

What brakes do you have up front? Probably going to need a Proportioning valve of some sort.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Be sure to take pictures and update us with everything you end up needing to do the swap. This looks like a pretty good option for an upgrade. Just to rebuild my 8 inch with new gears and trac-lock is around 1000.00

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, how'd the rear end swap work out? I'm doing the same in my 66 here next month and I'm still researching online to find any hidden terrors. Seems pretty straight forward but you never know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts