Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i think i just hit gold.....

found an 8.8 rear end on ebay and GUESS WHAT!

guy lives right down the road from me... my guess is that noone is going to bid on this rear end

here is the description

Used original 1986 Mustang GT 8.8 rear end. It has 3.55 gears, T2 Torsen differential and 28 spline Moser 5 lug axles. It is set up for the 1993 and later Cobra rear disc brakes. All that is needed are the wheel studs, brackets and the 11.65" rotors (available in a kit from Ford racing ) and calipers. Overall width flange to flange is 60 5/8". This rear end came out of my 1986 Mustang GT as we installed a 2002 Mustang rear end (1 1/2" wider overall) to gain additional track width. This rear end is in good working order and can be installed as is.

ok there is nothing wrong with my rear end but i cannot pass up this opportunity. ( if i could make it work)

anybody who knows about rear ends..... what will i have to do to make this work

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The fox rear end is going to be too narrow.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
The fox rear end is going to be too narrow.
I was told if you use your existing axles/brakes you would be fine, Still with someone telling me this, i still chose to find a 99-04 rear end for a direct swap with no problems.

Problem with using your own axels, you have to do work inside the housing ( not sure completely whats entailed in swapping axels, but i know you have to get inside the housing )

Next thing you want to consider would be how much power you are wanting to throw into your car?

minor bolt on's - stick with your 7.5 and get new gears for it ( i got 4.10 but would recommend 3.73's since i feel i lost most of my top end.

Engine Swap/ Forced Induction - 8.8 rear end.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told if you use your existing axles/brakes you would be fine, Still with someone telling me this, i still chose to find a 99-04 rear end for a direct swap with no problems.

Problem with using your own axels, you have to do work inside the housing ( not sure completely whats entailed in swapping axels, but i know you have to get inside the housing )

Next thing you want to consider would be how much power you are wanting to throw into your car?

minor bolt on's - stick with your 7.5 and get new gears for it ( i got 4.10 but would recommend 3.73's since i feel i lost most of my top end.

Engine Swap/ Forced Induction - 8.8 rear end.

well normally i would agree and gears + t-lok on the 7.5 would do but if i could pick up the gt rear for 100 bucks from this guy and bolt it up that would be sweet but i think ill pass untill i find one out of a newer gt

thanks guys

·
Registered
136 Posts
well normally i would agree and gears + t-lok on the 7.5 would do but if i could pick up the gt rear for 100 bucks from this guy and bolt it up that would be sweet but i think ill pass untill i find one out of a newer gt

thanks guys
I found a gt posi rear end for $100 on CL. I still bought new gears for it though, so i had alot of money tied into. $100 for the rearend $360 for the gear and install kit, and another $300 to have it installed.

I would definitely recommend finding a 99-04 rearend with already modded gears. Would save you a chunk of money. And the direct swap is pretty simple, i helped pull my own out and put the new in, id say anyone with a jack and some tooks could do it on their own.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
talk the guy down to like $80 then find a 8.8 housing from a 99-04, or one thats complete but needs an new dif.

then take the t lok and gears from the fox body one and put them in the newer 8.8 housing, and the axles from your stock 7.5 will fit perfectly in the new edge 8.8

then you can sell the moser axles in the fox body dif with that housing, and you could sell the cobra brake components and maybe break even :dunno

i would not bother upgrading to rear cobra brakes unless you need to, and even then you would probably want to do the front at the same time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Its best to wait for a 99-04 rear end. I got my for $500 shipped from a salvage yard in ct (I live in ny) Prices vary all over the US. $500 was a good deal for mine, and I have done all the work myself. Im putting the rear end on this weekend with new brakes and rotors. Its not that hard to do, you just need the right tools and time. Ive put 20hrs into this project lol.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its best to wait for a 99-04 rear end. I got my for $500 shipped from a salvage yard in ct (I live in ny) Prices vary all over the US. $500 was a good deal for mine, and I have done all the work myself. Im putting the rear end on this weekend with new brakes and rotors. Its not that hard to do, you just need the right tools and time. Ive put 20hrs into this project lol.
ah **** 20 hours :eek: well looks like this is going to be a project for after i move...

im trying to do so much stuff before i move and prioritizing my mods is difficult I WANT TO DO THEM ALL! haha :D luckily for stuff i cant do in the driveway, UTI has open shop weeks where you can bring your car in to work on :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts