Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am going to be getting an 8.8 rear end for my 2000 mustang because i feel its easier to simply swap the rear ends then take the 7.5 apart to put the tlock and gears in it...and slightly cheaper

My car is pretty much stock, and i was just wondering if im going to notice the car being slightly heavier or if its not really even going to make a difference in the weight of the car.

Thanks for the help

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
weight is very slight... but if you don't upgrade the gears in the rear of the 8.8 and replace the clutch plates then there is ... well not point in swapping to an 8.8 other then the fact that both wheels will now spin

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah well i was just wanting to do that cause in live in ohio where the snow is pretty shitty during winter just for a little better traction, and if i ever do starting adding power to it i wont have to worry about changing it out again

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
that is NOT a cost effective solution to get better traction.

Until you are making BIG power where you need a stronger axle, just get the t-lok/gears for your 7.5. Like OMZ said.....even with the 8.8 you are not goin to have better gears unless you buy the exle new which will cost you AT LEAST a grand.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
that is NOT a cost effective solution to get better traction.

Until you are making BIG power where you need a stronger axle, just get the t-lok/gears for your 7.5. Like OMZ said.....even with the 8.8 you are not goin to have better gears unless you buy the exle new which will cost you AT LEAST a grand.
+1

less ur getting it from a junkyard for 50 bucks, then it might be plauseable

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
the open 7.5 makes for better traction in the winter then a limited slip 8.8 just so you know ...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Instead of having one wheel ****ed in the winter theres 2 wheels ****ed with the limited slip. make sense?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
hes talking about and 8.8 ... either way a limited slip in the snow makes you fish tail more and puts you sliding out of control more often...

if something doesn't makes sense don't just stupidly say huh explain what you don't get and i will try and help make it a little clearer... im here to help... :hug

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if you were to compare the 7.5 vs the 8.8 and they both had tlock the 8.8 would still be worse in the snow? i guess i dont quite understand how the tlock would make traction worse compared to having just the one wheel have power

also i have a chance to get an 8.8 for around 300 dollars at a part swap im going to here in about a month, and i have a mechanic friend who would help me put it in so it wouldnt cost a lot cause i would be doing a lot of the labor myself, which i guess i didnt say, but i dont see how it would be less cost effective to buy the 8.8 vs buying the tlock, gears, and bearing kit for the 7.5 for roughly 400-450 dollars then paying at least another 200 for installation

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
so if you were to compare the 7.5 vs the 8.8 and they both had tlock the 8.8 would still be worse in the snow? i guess i dont quite understand how the tlock would make traction worse compared to having just the one wheel have power
they would both suck equally... both wheels spinning puts the power equally to the wheels which means that they both equally will slip and you will get get equally no traction to both wheels...

if you get the 8.8 and rebuild it your self then install it for next to nothing you might be able to save a few bucks... a tloc rebuild for the 8.8 is relatively cheap but you will still need gears

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so unless i was really planning on racing the car there is really no reason to bother with the tlock cuase i wont really increase my traction that much unless its dry out (cause chances are i will just wait till after college to get a project car to race and do it with that)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
a 8.8 rear end from a gt would bolt up with t-lok as a standard feature.. thats why i was confused when you said the 8.8 with limited slip

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
so unless i was really planning on racing the car there is really no reason to bother with the tlock cuase i wont really increase my traction that much unless its dry out (cause chances are i will just wait till after college to get a project car to race and do it with that)
look at it this way, a T-loc is the convenience of having both rear tires spin, this makes for better tire wear, cornering, acceleration, and a few other things...

the open differentials only advantages are, better snow traction, doesn't fish tale that easy at all (like it takes some practice)

so you weigh the advantages and disadvantages and make your own decision... cause im obviously just confusing you more... if you need to talk im on AIM right now ... i might be able to help some more

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
if youre going for performance, get a t-lock /thread

1 - 20 of 28 Posts