Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an 8.8 with disc brakes out of a 95 mustang for $750. My question is will it fit in my 88 lx? I have heard that they are wider (.75") because of antilock brake sensor on the axle, but they will bolt right in. If it will work is the $750 price reasonable? New rotors will be required as it is still on the car sitting on the dirt (someone else bought the rims ~6 months ago and they just dropped in flat on the ground) and they are pretty rusty(very pitted). Thanks for any advice.

If this doesn't fit, anyone got any recommendations? All the local junkyards are out of 8.8s and have been for months now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is stock, the guy told me he wanted more for it because it had disc brakes. It is from a local junkyard (very small yard). He told me if he could get one with drum brakes he would let me have it for $500. The larger junkyards all said they could order one from outta state, but it was $200 for shipping on top of the $400-600 price tag.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yea and if it's too wide you can always cut it and re weld it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
im p[lanin on the same swap for my car and i know of a local mustang yard they sell the rears for 350 bucks hes outta his mind i could see if it was in perfect shape 750 or even worked but its stock hes crazy call local yard you might get lucky to bad you werent closer to nj id say take ride out here and save some $$$

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
yea and if it's too wide you can always cut it and re weld it.

No the housing is the same with but the shafts are 3/4 longer 1 1/2 over all it will fit if you have stock wheels or the right ofset on the rims you would be better of adding discs to a 8.8 i could buy a hole care for $700

·
Registered
90 Posts
actually on the 94 to 95s there in the middle 96 to 98 are on the outside, and the 99+ cars have even wider axles no sure how much but yea if you get a set of stock 5 lug mustang wheels they should fit or go buy the right offset ones and youll need the ebrake cables of the car to

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
actually on the 94 to 95s there in the middle 96 to 98 are on the outside, and the 99+ cars have even wider axles no sure how much but yea if you get a set of stock 5 lug mustang wheels they should fit or go buy the right offset ones and youll need the ebrake cables of the car to
The 96 up are 1.5" wider per side the 95 i got my calipers brakets ebrake cables from had lines on the out side maybe it was a late 95 or something you should go with the 95 front spindles and brakes as well they are larger 11" i belive as the 88 is 10.5

·
Registered
90 Posts
im pretty sure up to 98 they were the same size just diff brake line postion and i have the front spindles already now i need to go get a rear lol adn for the 88s fronts there 11 i think im pretty sure 87 to 93 had the same front brakes

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
it just clicked that the 88 is 4 lug 94 up 5 lug i forgot lol mines all 5 I used 95 brackets and calipers 97 rotors ranger axles in the rear and 95 spindles rotors calipers and brackets for the front

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Dont have to if you go with a small caliper but it is always a good ideabut you do have to un hook the porprtioning valve and use a adjustable or a 4 wheel disc i whent adjustable and a 86 svo master cylinder they have one of the largest bores

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If i was going to do a 4 wheel swap upgrade agian i would buy a kit i spent about $600 and alot of time messing with it everythin is new but the spindles in the front you have to change your baljints on the 95 spindles to do it right to

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found one for $85.:D I was talking to a friend of mine today and he made a few phone calls for me. One of the local junkyards I called has a U pull it yard that they do not inventory and a guy he knew told him about a coupe that had been recently put in the yard. I went down there and sure enough an 8.8 sitting there. I am going back tomorrow (as soon as they open) and grabbing it. :cool: I did not get it today because I did not have any help and the guys there told me they do not help anyone... I can only imagine me trying to remove this by myself on a bed of rocks with 1 jack and a few hand tools.:no

1 - 20 of 23 Posts