Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I figure I'll be clever and pick up a used 8.8 from craigslist, build it, then just swap out the units when it's all said and done.

Planning on:

whatever gear ratio I end up with
Moser 5 lug axles
Auburn LSD unit
disc brakes of some flavor

...the usual stuff. Then I got to thinking. After I'm done upgrading all that stuff, I'm moving on to the motor, which will be a naturally aspirated 408, expecting around 450/500 at the wheels. Will the 8.8 with the upgraded internals handle that ok? The individual pieces should, but I don't know about the unit as a whole. This is going to be a hot street car with some random road racing.

That being said, with the Auburn LSD and a 408, what would be a good gear ratio to run? The motor is going to be just about the last thing that gets upgraded, so hopefully there's a ratio that'll work for the stock 5.0 as well as the 6.6.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
<-- factory 8.8 with a 31 spline trac lok and 4 lug ford racing 31 spline axles and 373 gears .

The time in my avatar was accomplished with a stock 8.8 with freshly packed clutches in the stock 28 spline trac lok , stock axles and 373 gears

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update (sort of). Plans now include:

Strange 9" ends
Strange 5 lug, 31 spline axles to go with the Strange 9" ends
Detroit TruTrac to go with the Strange axles and the Strange 9" ends
Wilwood disc brakes (with a drum e-brake) to stop the Strange axles in the Strange 9" ends
Motive Gear 3.73* gears

Since Strange is local to me, I'm going to have them cut and weld the ends on. I don't have the set-up jigs to do it myself. I presume the tubes should be cut so when the new ends are welded on, it's the stock width.

*I'm open to suggestions for the gear ratios. I don't know a thing about final drive stuff. It's going to be 95% street, 5% road race/open track type stuff, no drag racing. If 86_Notch is dead on with his suggestion, then so be it!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
3.55 for road racing a long course. Id stay away from motive and get a set of frpp gears. Sounds like a good plan. Stock diffs are ok, if you dont mind rebuilding them when the one wheel peel comes back, but since I split one right down the pin, Im not using one in a high torque applucation

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
Cool, I like those and the eaton's. The eaton ones are rebuildable.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
I think you will be disappointed w 3.55's. You are going to have to pick an application that you want the car to be the best at and build it for that. If you are stick, I would go w 3.73. If auto, 4.10 or 4.30.

In an ideal situation, you want to be blazing throught the traps at the top end of your power band. gears and tire size will affect this.

Dont forget to weld the axle tubes to the housing.

Here are some gear links for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/30113-3-27-vs-3-73-vs-4-10-took-couple-hrs-2-complete-enjoy.html

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/43213-3-55-vs-3-73-vs-4-10-gear-ratios-s197.html

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Calculators & Decoders: RPM Calculator

Mustang Differential Gears - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

How to install your own gears!!! | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Pinion shims/depth on 8.8 gear install.. advice.. | Mustang Forums at StangNet

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
8.8 welded tubes, 9" ends, brace the axle tubes and be done with the housing. Get 35 splins and a spool from strange. Whatever you do, don't use auburn. Use the stocker if thats the case.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Just to reiterate for the people that didn't take the time to actually read everything (which I sometimes have done myself):

*I'm open to suggestions for the gear ratios. I don't know a thing about final drive stuff. It's going to be 95% street, 5% road race/open track type stuff, no drag racing.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
Thanks buddy, fbp is dead so.... haha.
I still see them posting on fb - I never went over to their shop though - it is like an hour to an hour and a half round trip for me to visit.

Do you miss the people's chimp?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I still see them posting on fb - I never went over to their shop though - it is like an hour to an hour and a half round trip for me to visit.

Do you miss the people's chimp?
I don't mind him lol. He some how knew everyone I did. fbp is a good shop, keith knows more than anyone on thes sites for sure.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts