Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmm clean!

wow.. that looks great. its vary convenient that you work at a machine shop. is that just bare metal or is there some coating over it ? is that what you do a the shop ( a machinest ?)

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Didn't to it myself. I had this cleaned up at Redi-Strip Company for Paint Stripping, De-Rusting and Degreasing in the Chicagoland Area

It's bare, but there might be a light coating of something on there. Luckily it's pretty dry this time of year. The shop I'm taking it to to have the welding done said it's gotta be oil free, so it's going in oil free.

I do work at a machine shop. Most of my days are spent taking apart and putting together import race motors. Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru (A LOT of those), British, Italian, German, etc. We don't see much domestic stuff, especially V8's. They're heavy and we're lazy :D

I personally don't do much of the machining myself, I'm kept pretty busy just dealing with the motors. We've had 5 come in the past 2 weeks. Spring is just around the corner, and guys are realizing "oh ****, I better get this stuff done!"

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No, but it'd be nice. A good number of our customers are tuner shops, who have chassis dynos in-house for their tuning. We'd go broke trying to make all the adapters for the dyno :D

To give you an example of the stuff we do, here's a quick list of the motors I've got on stands (or are about to be):

- Mercedes 280SL (stock restoration)
- Mitsu 6G72 (Wiseco pistons on some sort of knock-off Chinese H-beam rod)
- Saab 2.3 (bleh. finding parts is a pain in the ass)
- Saab 2.0 (being built for a 24 Hours of Lemons racer, lol)
- Honda H22 (high compression Mahle pistons)
- 1st Gen DSM (Wiseco on Eagle rods)
- 1st Gen DSM (again! Wiseco on Manleys)
- Nissan KA24 (JE on Manley rods)
- LS2* (stock internals with a Comp Cam and rocker trunnion kit)
- Mitsu Evo 8 (Wiseco on Eagles)
- Mitsu Evo 8 (2.3L stroker, Eagle crank, Manley rods & pistons)
- Mitsu Evo X (sleeved block, custom Wiseco on Manley rods)
- Subaru EJ25 (new OEM nitrided crank, Manley rods & pistons)
- Volvo B20 (P1800 races in VSCDA)
- Pontiac 400* (out of a GTO, don't know the year)
- Honda B20 (sleeved block, custom JE's on Eagle rods)

And it's still February. Come March/April, my 6 day work week will turn into 8 day work weeks :facepalm:

I know my way around motors pretty good, but I'm still feeling my way around the Ford stuff, we just don't do that much of it. I think the last Ford 302 I put together was about 3 years ago, and that was just a stock rebuild. That's why you'll see the occasional noob question from me :D

*The V8's occasionally sneak in :D

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
That's sick man! You guys got some variety haha :D

It's a little boring seeing the same stuff, day in, day out.

Oh what's that guy getting? A big block? With dart heads?

What about that guy? Another big block? Dart heads again?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You'd be surprised, there's a little bit of that even with this stuff. If I got a Subaru coming in from a certain shop, I already know it's getting Manley rods and pistons. If it's from another shop that does them, I know it's getting JE pistons and Manley rods. These guys like to find parts that work for the right price and sell them as packaged motors.

The Evo guys love Wiseco pistons on Eagle rods, it's a pretty good combo that can survive a decent amount of power.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
You'd be surprised, there's a little bit of that even with this stuff. If I got a Subaru coming in from a certain shop, I already know it's getting Manley rods and pistons. If it's from another shop that does them, I know it's getting JE pistons and Manley rods. These guys like to find parts that work for the right price and sell them as packaged motors.

The Evo guys love Wiseco pistons on Eagle rods, it's a pretty good combo that can survive a decent amount of power.
Well at least some of the import owners do more than attach a fart can, put a double stack wing on, and claim 12s, lol!

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,797 Posts
Well at least some of the import owners do more than attach a fart can, put a double stack wing on, and claim 12s, lol!
+1,000,000,000,000 lol. I saw an Acura today that had "dual exhaust" that was just Y'd halfway back and had TWO fart cans stickin out back. I tried to get a picture but it was a busy day at the gas station and that would have caused a riot...

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
That looks sick. Well done

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Alright, time to select the brakes so I can let Strange know what I'm going to be running so I can order the axles.

Edit: pretty sure this is what I'll end up with, brakes-wise
http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-9791

The only(?) difference seems to be where the calipers are located. Front vs. rear.

The first kit (front mount caliper) was apparently designed for a staggered shock setup. I plan on running MM coilovers on MM LCA's, I don't know if that's going to be an issue with the 1" shorter axles. I presume I'm going to have to just try it and find out.

Anyways, I presume the brakes work just as well no matter if the calipers face front or rear.

Here's the list of junk I'm planning on using. When I'll be able to afford all this stuff is another story :headscratcher:

As for wheels, I suspect I'm going to shoot for a 17" rim. No idea on width yet. This is all uncharted territory for me.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts