Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to buy an older 8.8 Inch Rear end from a Fox and convert it to rear Disc? It would be for a 1996 Ford Mustang GT.

Been looking into purchasing a rear end with gears since mine sounds like it wants to go already. I've been curious about the conversion since apparently from 79-98 the rear ends were about the same besides the Drum and Disc.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah every generation they got like 7/8-1.5 inches wider

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn... so I'm stuck looking for a 94-98 GT/Cobra rear end. Sweet, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
836 Posts
79-98 housings are the exact same width. It is only the SN95 axles that are wider than the fox axles. Same housings. All the SN95 stuff will swap right on. Just pull the fox axles and drum backing plates, and swap on the SN95 caliper to housing brackets and axles. Done

·
Registered
234 Posts
The reason the axles are longer in 96-98 is for the ABS ring that comes on the newer models.My cobra has a 93 fox rearend in it right now since i busted a axle at the track a week before heading over seas. planning on keeping the 93 housing and just upgrade it with 96-98 31 spline axles and gonna change out my 4.10 gears and see how i like the 4.30.

But it bolted right up. I actually changed the rearends while the car was still on the trailor in The driveway. All i did was swap out some 28 spline strange axles(had them laying around) and change out the brakets for the disc brakes. Back on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts