Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over winter i decided to piece together an 8 rib kit for my vortech charged 2v because the 6 rib seemed to only really hold for the initial 10 -20 pulls then slowly starts slipping worse and worse along with blowing belt dust. Now my car makes about 17 psi at 6500 mind you i only usually run it up to 6k (just a weekend toy not racing) so maybe 14 - 15 psi. So i thought forsure an 8 rib would do the trick and unfortunately the signs are already appearing of the dreaded belt slip. Im currently using a brand new this spring dayco tensioner with about 1/4-1/2 " of play left on tension. Also my car is an 04 with the single bolt tensioner i have heard the timing cover withe the 3 belt tensioner has better belt wrap around the crank pulley, do i have to repmace the timing cover ( id rather not) I was thinking about ditching the dayco tensioner for a thump racing tensioner so has anyone tried these out they are expensive but id be willing to pay it if it works if i buy it and have the same issue im going to be pissed. so What are my options i cant replace belts all summer long who has experience with this?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
What size pulley?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have no idea what the threshold of the single bolt set up is but I would thing with the 8 rib set up you should be able to get 17psi. Have you checked your pulley alignment with a straight edge or laser? also do you have any other under drive pulleys on the car? If you can get an under drive alternator pulley to fit that may help, or an insanely expensive electric water pump might help.

Anything to take some of that parasitic drag off the belt.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I ran over 20 PSI with the single bolt tensioner

The bigger the crank pulley you can get the better stop messing with everything else and put on a bigger crank pulley or you'll go broke messing with this thing like i did.

How tight is your belt?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I ran over 20 PSI with the single bolt tensioner

The bigger the crank pulley you can get the better stop messing with everything else and put on a bigger crank pulley or you'll go broke messing with this thing like i did.

How tight is your belt?
He has a 10% OD crank, how big should he get? 18% then pulley the SC up?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Very weird. I've ran a 6 rib 3.12 on my GT and Mach with no slip. Some have got away with a 2.87 and little to no slip.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know its driving me nuts the car is awesome the first handfull of times on the new belt then it just starts slipping. I have an electric water pump already. I have not checked alignment yet so i will have to try that. I thought forsure the 8 rib would fix it but now im thinking the heavy duty tensioner or i try prying on a smaller belt but how tight is to tight id imagone at somepoint your putting to much strain on bearings

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
if you plan on making alot of boost on a 2V with a blower you gotta run the largest OD pulley you can. I think the 15 percent should get you a couple more PSI without slippage without having to pulley down so darn low.

You will not get rid of all belt slip many of us have tried.

https://innovatorswest.com/814-MOD-Damper.html

If you are slipping then your belt isnt tight enough and or you need more pulley to belt surface. normally with alignment issues youll get belt shredding as well as a little more dust.. Also look for wear on the edges of the belt indicating where your alignment issues are.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Im going to try a tighter belt now im using a green fleetrunner 109.375 length trying to find the next size down but google has failed me. And possibly see if i can get a rr pulley. On a side note i might be switching my setup around over winter alittle bit. From a friend of a friend i may be getting my hands on a like new i believe its a kenne bell custom 3.4l kit. I like the kit i have now but really would like the midrange power to play with since it is just a weekend toy and not a race car im starting to lean towards that type of blower setup

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update i purchased a used thump racing single bolt tensioner that had been modified. Installed with same belt and the car runs alot stronger much more consistant. Getting the belt back over the water pump pulley with the vortech bracket in the way is a bit tricky but with a wire tied through the tensioner pulley and a come along bolted to my garage wall made the job easy

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts