Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my serp belt in an emergency with a crap dayco one after the line on my oil pressure gauge ruptured and took my belt with it ... all they had after a mile walk to the closest parts store.

I had to pull the blower with a basic tool set in an abandoned gas station parking lot.

Ever since my boost pressure is way down (3 or 4 psi through the FMIC on a 3.33 pulley).

I'm contemplating going to a 8 rib setup.

Aside from buying all the pulleys new (found a post for that); what engine/vehicle might I be able to pull these off of from a yard?

Does anyone know if it is still possible to get a RR pulley for a V3 Vortech?

Thanks as always. Oh, since my last post I started working at AM (on the website); which is freakin' sweet.

Thanks as always!

·
13,573 Posts
Most of the 2000 Ford Expedition 4.6L have 8 rib pullies on them I would imagine that they would work for you.

as far as the RR pulley I think they got a GOVT contract sometime back and never looked back. I would make some social media posts to find a used one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks for the info gentlemen, gets me going down the right path. Thinking I may just go with the high traction vortech pulley and a good Gates belt.

·
13,573 Posts
I think I used almost every brand belt and pulley but once you get over 22PSI or so it is going to slip.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think I used almost every brand belt and pulley but once you get over 22PSI or so it is going to slip.
Im only at 17-18 psi but even at that the 6 rib belt is shot and slipping within 150 miles. Works good for a little bit lol. I think an 8 rib will hold pretty good at this level hopefully.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
1st problem i have the timing cover with single bolt tensioner which has ribbed idler and a lipped smooth idler behind the supercharger. I havnt looked for the smooth idler yet but i am having no luck finding the 8 ribbed idler. Ive read through a bunch of posts.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Are you planning on using smaller than a 3" pulley that you want to go 8 rib? I ran a Dayco 107.0" belt on my GT with a 3.12 pulleys and no issues. I have the same pulley on my Mach shifting at 6500 and no issues. Don't remember if there is a Dayco or Gates belt on it. I know some have ran a 2.87 6 rib without issues. Key is to have the belt really tight.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Im only at 17-18 psi but even at that the 6 rib belt is shot and slipping within 150 miles. 3.12 pulley with 15% overdrive.Works good for a little bit. After my dyno tune session the belt would squeal at startup and slowly started to slip to the point of i was losing 5 or so pounds of boost before i changed it. The belt was pretty tight new but probably stretched. I only was able to drive a coue times before winter with the new belt and boost was back up. Im also wondering if it has something to do with me having the newer timing cover. The older timing covers with 3 bolt tensioner im reading have better belt wrap around the crank pulley which could also be the problem. Either way an 8 rib should help i woukd think i really dont want to replace the cover if i dont have to.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Im only at 17-18 psi but even at that the 6 rib belt is shot and slipping within 150 miles. 3.12 pulley with 15% overdrive.Works good for a little bit. After my dyno tune session the belt would squeal at startup and slowly started to slip to the point of i was losing 5 or so pounds of boost before i changed it. The belt was pretty tight new but probably stretched. I only was able to drive a coue times before winter with the new belt and boost was back up. Im also wondering if it has something to do with me having the newer timing cover. The older timing covers with 3 bolt tensioner im reading have better belt wrap around the crank pulley which could also be the problem. Either way an 8 rib should help i woukd think i really dont want to replace the cover if i dont have to.
Did you make a build thread?

Can you throw us a rundown of your build and what power you made?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
MMR 1000, rotating assembly aluminum block .20 over, 8:5:1 compression , twisted wedge heads with cms 2.5 blower cams. Vic jr. Intake V3si 3.12 pulley with Iw 15% overdrive. Cxracing 4" and powerpipe. Mac ceramic longtubes with or x pipe. Etc. Made 610hp 500 tq at 6500 rpm on a conservative tune only 14 degrees timing i believe. On a superflow dyno.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How did you make out? I got my 8 rib kit all together started the car and revved it a few times seems to be working good. Roads are still shitty up here so i cant really test it for awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts