Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first time poster long time reader.

Reading this forum has helped me learn alot about my engine and the cars they came out of even though my 5.0 is in a 67 mustang.

Hopefully i posted in the correct forum...

ok, where to start, i bought a 67 fastback ages ago that has an 86 5.0 HO rollercam motor (block stamp E6 and has 351w firing order). Now i assume that all 86+ motors were EFI? If this is the case then the previous owner has converted it to carb. They have put an edelbrock performer intake and holley 670 vac sec carb with 1inch spacer, HEI (looks cheap chinese) elec distributor and hedman headers with new exhaust. These are the only mods i can see externally. Im unsure or doubt much or anything has been done on the internals. Does have a great growl when you step on the accelerator but fairly "sleeper" at idle, doesnt sound like theres a big cam or anything so for all intensive purposes im going to assume stock.

asleep yet? :D

I know lots of threads cover this topic but its doing my head in as i cant seem to get a straight answer from them, so my question or scenarios are .. i have a friend who had a 5.0L with a novi 2000 supercharger, holley systemax efi intake with injectors, edelbrock 75mm throttlebody, steeda rails, monster crank pulley. ill be acquiring this gear as a barter exchange as he doesnt need it for where his engine is going.

The plan for my engine was to go to efi but also SC... so this would be a perfect chance to do both. Although i just cant seem to find on the web what harness and computer/ecu i need to get this system to work within reason cost wise, budget is always an issue (ive seen motec $4000 ecus and im like :eek: )

I have an american autowire wiring harness in my 67, so power and circuits and relays are up to date and not an issue.

Can i use an original factory ford ecu that these cars came out of? I read theres 2 types speed density and MAF and the MAF is the better one which is from later model (90? and up?) and would a factory harness (find both of these on ebay) work fine? and where do you get the sensors from?

Or do i need some form of aftermarket programmable one to use with the listed gear above?

other than a return line to the fuel tank and appropriate efi fuel pump setup (currently has low pressure electric fuel pump on 3/8 polished lines to the carby) am i missing anything else to complete the system?

Any advice or parts you suggest would be most appreciated.

Alternatively, paxton said if i wanted to stay carby to use the gear but with a "blow through carb" setup. I figured if i had the systemax efi ,injectors and throttle body already i might aswell complete it. Car is a daily driver ;)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Check out the link below. This is the system I bought to convert my 82 Capri to EFI, I had less than $700 in the complete PCM/wiring with all the sensors I needed. They have very nice stuff, fully tuneable PCM & full wiring harness. You'll probably have less than peicing togather a OE type EFI system. Mega Squirt also has a pretty good rep!
5.0 Mustang Installer Package #2 DIYAutoTune.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the link below. This is the system I bought to convert my 82 Capri to EFI, I had less than $700 in the complete PCM/wiring with all the sensors I needed. They have very nice stuff, fully tuneable PCM & full wiring harness. You'll probably have less than peicing togather a OE type EFI system. Mega Squirt also has a pretty good rep!
5.0 Mustang Installer Package #2 DIYAutoTune.com
that is DEFINATELY interesting .. thanks for the reply and the link. Cost wise thats very do'able.

Does that package include the sensors? i couldnt see it listed. You will have to excuse the noob questions, im new to EFI. What sensors would i need to add to it and the "USB adapter" is not included in this packager as its for "repeat installers" is it worth me getting the other package for "first time installer" . Im in IT so computer wise im on the ball ..

thanks again .

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Factory maff mustangs are 89- and up years.

Although california mustangs came with maffs in 1988 but every where else didnt get them till 1989.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
that is DEFINATELY interesting .. thanks for the reply and the link. Cost wise thats very do'able.

Does that package include the sensors? i couldnt see it listed. You will have to excuse the noob questions, im new to EFI. What sensors would i need to add to it and the "USB adapter" is not included in this packager as its for "repeat installers" is it worth me getting the other package for "first time installer" . Im in IT so computer wise im on the ball ..

thanks again .
I ordered the Installed package #2 configured for factory TFI distributor, along with gray pigtail for Ford TFI ignitions, GM closed element CLT/IAT sensor for a coolant sensor, GM open element IAT sensor for intake air temp, 8 Bosch EV1 injector connectors, Ignition coil pigtail for TFI, & USB to Serial adaptor for a total of $684. The throttle body I'm using already has a TPS & IAC. I just have to add a used EFI/TFI distritubor, & fuel system!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i got the gear and did some more research on the Megasquirt which a friend uses and i was pretty impressed with how programmable it is etc.

now the only thing which is slightly off topic is does anyone know what the 4 threaded holes on the side and 3 on the back of the cartech box are for??

here is a pic .. it came pretty ratty but ive cleaned it up quite a bit, polished the logo and vht wrinkle paint the rest

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Manifold vacuum ports. You'll need one for the fpr for sure, and obviously any other vacuum accessory.
Ahhh ok .. thanks for that mate .. so anything requiring "manifold vaccum" i should use one of those ports and just plug up the rest .. so excuse my amatureish question as im still learning .. are the threaded holes IN the actual manifold at the back (not the water jacket ones) considered manifold vacuum ports or are they "considered" different ? i know the one on the back of the manifold goes to the brake booster..

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Are you talking upper or lower? Only the upper manifold ones are vacuum. The big one in the lower at the back that you have black tape over is the pcv, if that's what you are talking about. And yes, plug all the unused.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you talking upper or lower? Only the upper manifold ones are vacuum. The big one in the lower at the back that you have black tape over is the pcv, if that's what you are talking about. And yes, plug all the unused.
sorry to clarify i meant the 2 threaded holes either side of the PCV hole on the manifold.. thats currently plugged up. but now when i think about it they are probably water holes.. so ignore that :D i was comparing to my old edelbock performer manifold that had a water plug and brake booster vaccum plug in the same places. but i understand my confusion on that one.

ok and while i have your attention:

what is this little plug for .. looks like a sensor? the white headed plug in between the 2 injectors on the manifold

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry for an old thread bump, but i have been wondering what ever happened to this cool build?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry for an old thread bump, but i have been wondering what ever happened to this cool build?
ohhhh .. yes .. sorry .. :D

ok i bought the megasquirt.. havent fired it up yet as ive been doing other stuff with the car but pretty close. The cam is a tfs stage 1 (for now) .. im leaving the rest stock (like heads and bottom end, unsure if any work was done to the heads or bottom end but didnt want to take it apart as the engine runs good and strong) .. this will be ok now with such small boost.. if when i need to do something .. ill prob go 347 or 363 stroker. until then im happy to cruise around like a grandma with low boost.. the rest of the car is setup to handle around 700hp (except engine/gb), so i have future growth. My fuel line is -8an to the engine and -6an return .. although still not sure regarding fuel pumps. one person said 1xwalbro gsl392 or bosch 044 will be sufficient.. another guy said run 2x walbro or bosch into a Y piece into the main -8an line.. *shrug* i thought the walbro is good for 600hp and im no where near that nor will i get that far.

so i have the paxton novi with the holley systemax intake and the cartech box.. i have full TCP suspension with tcp rack n pinion..

heres a pic.. though sorry its a 67 fastback so this might not be appropriate for the 5.0 thread although it is a 5.0 engine/gb etc..

Ive learnt SOOOO much about my car and engine and how things work etc.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

oh other than body and paint .. ive done the rest (sometimes with an extra set of hands) but all me :D

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

oh nearly forgot .. needed to use adjustable engine mounts to drop the engine a tad for the bonnet to clear the top of the supercharger.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

also im custom making my shelby copy console .. here is a mockup in my room lol with my 97 leather mustang seats

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

adjustable mounts which were lasercut and i por15 them in sterling silver.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

another engine pic

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Sick build buddy.... im super jealous. My novi 2000 is sitting in 3 different boxes...lol
Have you started it up yet ? Whats your pulley sizes ? What did you end up going with, SD or mass air ? and what bypass valve are you going to use ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sick build buddy.... im super jealous. My novi 2000 is sitting in 3 different boxes...lol
Have you started it up yet ? Whats your pulley sizes ? What did you end up going with, SD or mass air ? and what bypass valve are you going to use ?
thanks mate, getting there..

No havent started it up yet. The pulley thats on there is 3.5" which paxton support tell me thats for 8-10lbs which is the pulley thats come out of the box with the novi 2000.

SD or mass air? this is where im still new at.. after discussion with 2 of my friends who are megasquirt experts and diyautotune.. for the moment ill just be using the built in MAP sensor on the megasquirt. So my understanding means that the megasquirt will adjust fuel etc.. based on the pressure in the manifold. I know it has boost control etc but will require an additional solenoid or something but my friends reckon being im on low boost etc... this should be sufficient and diyautotune suggested te same thing.

bypass valve.. well im GLAD you asked this .. a while ago i bought the one that comes with the novi out of the box.. however now im thinking to use a blowoff valve instead.. rather than have this big black ugly thing plumbed back to the air inlet..

which again as i understand.. i shouldnt have problems venting to air cause my computer measures MAP so there shouldnt be these issues i read about with venting to air with SD and mass air. Is that right?.. if i understand correctly.. when the throttle is released the butterfly in the throttle shuts then pressure in the discharge tube has to release somewhere which is released via the BOV or bypass valve. Hopefully im understanding that correctly ..

what do you have for a bypass or blowoff valve?

cheers

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

also what do you reckon regarding my fuel pump query?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Ya so your basically speed density ( SD) there for you can use a blow off valve. But your stock bosch valve that came with your kit does the same thing if its just venting to the atmosphere, but i understand what your saying about them being ugly. On mass air with a pull through set up you have to recirculate the air back into the inlet pipe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ohh i see.. ok i didnt know that.. still learning!!>.

yeah i was even thinking using the bosch valve but not recirculating it and just venting to air.. only reason why im trying to avoid recirculating is cause the air inlet tube ill be custom making and dont want to have to put a bung in there etc and have a tube coming back through .. its just easier to vent it to air..

my friend gave me a blue anadised bov that appears adjustable.. no name .. i think its just a cheaper.. has a trumpet.. not sure if this is better than the bosch stock one.. it looks like this but necessarily this exact one.

Type H RFL Universal Anodized Aluminum 30 PSI Turbo Blow Off Valve JDM Blue | eBay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts