Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, to start I had to replace starter, while I was at it I went ahead and did a tune up on the car. I pulled the wires off before I even thought that I didn't mark them.

From what I have found the distributor should be wired counter clockwise.

Engine is

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

From what I found the firing order is

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8

I have spark at the spark plugs and coil is putting out plenty of power. Car was running fine before I jacked with it.

Now all it does is turn over never fires.

Was wondering if anyone can confirm I have it wired up right. Or is there another possibility for the firing order. I am not 100% its the HO engine so I don't know if the firing order is different.

Would like to get this fixed before I replace water pump and thermostat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ray

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
86 is definitely HO, so you need to run the 351W firing order, which is the one you have above.

I'm not positive, but I thought cylinders 1-4 were on the driver's side? Your diagram shows that the other way, and would certainly explain why stuff's not working.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly how I have it wired. 13726548 my Accel distributor cap actually marks #1 yet I still have nothing other then a cranking engine.

Any other ideas? I would think it would fire, I know fuel pump works I hear it kick on with the key and I have checked the pressure. I also gaped the plugs at .050 coil is only a few months old. Battery is 8 months old and I charged it just to make sure it wasn't weak before I discovered it was the starter.

Guess I get this for not marking wires much less deciding to do tune up at same time I did starter, but figured it needed starter, water pump, front brakes, oil change so why not go ahead and do the tune up!!!

Never had problems in the past with any of my other cars that I have worked on. I am not a mechanic by any means. But I have replaced timing belts in Geo Prizm and Kia Optima and thats not very easy. Replaced many water pumps, radiators, intakes, oil pumps, even rebuilt a 1969 302 out of my first truck I owned when I was 16. So I have been around an engine compartment a lot. I am generally even pretty good at figuring out whats wrong with the car myself not just a parts changer.

But this problem has me stumped!!

Thanks for the replies will mess with it some more maybe double check every wire has spark maybe I got a bad wire or plug? Who knows anything is possible!

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
maybe I got a bad wire or plug? Who knows anything is possible!
A single bad wire or plug wouldn't cause a total no start. I'd double check the entire spark path...

Just to double check, you did put the rotor back in, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I did put the rotor back in cause I even cleaned its post being it had a little surface rust on it.

I guess I will double check everything again.

Even thought maybe it was low on fuel being my driveway is a bit steep so I put a little over 5 gallons in it thinking maybe but still same thing. Guess I could put old wires on and see if they work being the worked.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I'm really thinking it's not the wires or plugs. If you had single cylinders that weren't firing, it would run rough, but it would still run.

That sounds to me like coil, coil->dizzy wire, or something in the distributor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem is it was running fine before I decided to replace starter/wires/plugs/cap & rotor

wasn't 100% it was a bit rough with erratic idle and was a little rough at low RPM

The plugs were fairly bad nothing major just looked like some detonation and standard fouling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts